9 mm handgun

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gulliver62

9mm load

Post by gulliver62 »

David M. is correct in my experience.

25yd is no problem and a variety of loads will work but at 50yd it is much more difficult. I have been shooting the Atlanta Arms Black Box while working on load development.
yana

Post by yana »

Unless yr going for big ucks, ór compete in military target shooting disciplines, a 9mm will never be a good match for a .32 GSP for example othe 25m competition.
And even with big bucks, I'd rather shoot the GSP..;)

Anyway, I only have experiences with 'budget'9mm's, that is, military pistols: Beretta 92, Tauris PT99, CZ 75, Browning HiPower, 1911..
If you can find a Broning HiPo Competition version, those are VERY nice shooters!! Allthough rare and they're not for everyone (they're kinda picky to shoot). CZ, Taurus, Beretta is easy to shoot for everyone. My Taurus was AWESOME. Didnt like 1911's though. Unless you pick reliable ammo they're not reliable pistols. No feedramp. They dont just eat anything like my mk3 HiPo does.
daotoys1

Post by daotoys1 »

IMHO.

No contest.

Swiss SIG P210

I suggest the SIG P210-6/ P210-5 which are their Sport/target models.

If you want more refinement find a HF ( Heavy frame ) model, and you can also go with the extended barrel . The standard barrel is 120mm. The long barrels are in 150mm and 180mm lengths.

The longer barrels provide higher bullet velocities and improved accuracy especially at longer distances. The front site on the long barrel tip also give the gun a longer site line ( distance between the front and rear sites_).

Get one with the micro meter adjustable sites if you can. The adjustable sites are very hard to find and extremely expensive.

I do not recommend the German made SIG Sauer 210 legend , nor the Swiss made Sphinx pistols as they do not match the Swiss SIG in quality or accuracy.

Good luck

DAO

Not 9mm, but other center fire pistol(s) I recommend would be the Swiss SIG-Hammerli P240 in 38 spl WC, or 32 S&W Long WC.

I have owned many pistols and now I only have Swiss made firearms. Personally I consider these the most refined and the best options if we are talking about getting a gun that is genius right out of the box.

As a general rule the SIG pistols are extremely accurate right out of the box, and are ultra reliable. I have never had a single misfeed or malfunction with one ( I started shooting over 50 years ago ).

I do also suggest that you do your shopping. Try to handle and shoot as many different guns that you can, and ultimately buy what you are drawn to. Everyone is different, and finding the best gun is often a very personal experience.

Happy holidays

:)
J

9mm preference

Post by J »

To summarize an awful lot of testing over a number of decades,

criteria:

groupings, 30 rounds at mininumm rate 1/second
first shot inaccuracy
trigger consistency, especially after the number of rounds increases
gun function/feeding
gun failure

Results:

the Pardini GT9 with 6" barrel in 5" slide frame seemed best,

(30 rounds within about 1.75" at 25M, 50M results proportional, about 3.5-4.0"),

with the 5" barrel in 5" slide second best.

Third best JSL Spitfire

Fourth best but close equal Colt 9mm Commander series 70

None of these could equal the SAKO .32 however. The GSP verisions are not as accurate as the SAKO, which uses a slightly faster twist rate.

As noted in the comment, extremely careful selection of the ammunition is necessary to obtain this accuracy.

With the the Sig 210, the failures to make the cut always were due to first round inaccuracy (primarily), grouping spread by the 5th round, and stiffening of trigger pull by the 10th round or more, as well as further accuracy loss at rounds 15-30. The hand bite was annoying, but not a selection criterion.

The Pardini uses a grip angle similer to the GSP, rather sloped. The SAKO TriAce and Spitfire, similar to the Colt. The SAKO sport pistol uses the more raked grip ankle, and same upper section.

Althogh the triggers are not fantastic, the Soviet and Polish TT-33 can be extremely accurate as well, especially with the Hirtenberger ammunition, or the VKT.