Don't know what to torque my 1800 action and aluminum stock

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Cousin Jack

Don't know what to torque my 1800 action and aluminum stock

Post by Cousin Jack »

Hello! I'm not a studly international-type shooter, I'm an old geek, NRA smallbore type, but I need your help!

Indoor rimfire season is here again, and I'm getting my Anschutz Match 54 (1800 Series) ready for action, but.... I bought me an aluminum stock, non-Anschutz, http://www.pdccustom.com/, which is shaving a few pounds off the total weight, which I need as I age and get punier.....

I got my old Gehman torque wrench out to fix the screws, but I don't know what value I should use...... I put 5 1/2 Nm on, but that seems relatively wimpy......

Anybody have any thoughts or comments........? Seems to shoot very well with Aguila Blue Box......rifle is not bedded......

Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

I seem to recall being told that Anschutz recommended 6 nm in such cases, but I'd need to check with my source and write again. You could certainly try the higher torque and then experiment with lower ones. I believe that 5 nm is the max. recommended for wooden stocks because otherwise the wood could be crushed over time but higher would obviously be safe with aluminium.
ZD

Post by ZD »

I use 5 nm on my Anschutz aluminum precise stock (recommended torque for an aluminum stock on the Gehmann directions for the torque). I used 5 1/2 on my glass bedded wood stock previously (higher torque since it was bedded). Yes, 5 nm may seem wimpy, but overtorqueing your rifle won't help with accuracy ether. In any case, you can always experiment with it, I know some people who test ammo play around with the torque a little. Would love to hear any other opinions.
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

The numbers sound pretty good to me, please do not over Torque it you are always hearing of someone stripping the thread in the Action, it does happen.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Martin Catley wrote:The numbers sound pretty good to me, please do not over Torque it you are always hearing of someone stripping the thread in the Action, it does happen.
Wise words - personally I wouldn't go above 6.5Nm
dmalstro

Post by dmalstro »

I was recently at a coaching clinic involving USA Shooting and they said 5-7 Nm was the range for both wood and alumonum stocks was best. Given the people saying this, I would believe them.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

My source - our club secretary - confirms that the booklet that came with his 1913 rifle recommends/specifies a torque of 6 nm in the case of aluminium stocks. I'd still experiment but I wouldn't lightly go beyond 6 nm; stripped threads are a nightmare.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Thanks all, I'm gonna set it at 6 Nm and forget it! Appreciate the responses....