air pistol training program by Jukka Lahti

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Have you read "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Basham?
Peter B

Mental Training

Post by Peter B »

Russ, I appreciate the offer but, I didn't want to spend the 30 someting on the last training program.

Greg, I own his DVD set.

What I'm trying to get at is, I know I'm better than the level I'm shooting now but every time I start doing good I make up for it right away and hit my average.

I have been training differently by working on one thing at a time. Going back to the basic of sight alinement and trigger control. What do you guys see or even better, how do you approce it. I know when I am realy on all I see is the front sight and the shot breaks by itself. This can be scary because I have to look in the scope to see where it went. When I feel I'm off shooting like this it is on the edge of the ten ring. The other way I find myself releasing is like I'm dry firing but the group opens up and I find myself trying to hard. I do know one thing, I can't try to shoot a 10, I have a hard time keeping them in the black when I do that.

So, how do you and what do you see when you shoot a ten.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

When I just shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot. The process sometimes become meaningless.

But when I tell myself, and hold myself to what I tell myself, that I will shoot only five shots. I want 10's on those shots. I will stop after those five shots, NO MATTERS WHAT. Every one I want 10's, then the process becomes meaningful and I know it is achievable.

But when I just shoot, shoot, shoot, and one more, and one more, just one more, just one more. It is in retrospect, quite meaningless.

Many time, 10 minutes are more meaningful than one hour or two.
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Hello Peter,
In spite of what you may expect, I have good news for you.
First, you have intentified the problem: mental.
Secondly, I have got answers to my questions on this forum. Even from Russes remarks. Read between the lines. E.g. when Russ talks about the perfect singel shot it is exactly what he means: put everything that is in you in that one shot! And that is not so difficult but repeating it 60 or 70 times is the biggest effort. Remember having a bad shot is only an encouragment to perform better on the next. Rember Shooting is a DO sport. You can read how to, someone can tell you but you 're at the line holding the pistol.
Hoping I've been of some help! Wishing you good shooting.
Guy
Russ

"Read between the lines." :)

Post by Russ »

When you will work with me in a person there is not nessesary to "Read between the lines" ;)

"when Russ talks about the perfect singel shot it is exactly what he means: put everything that is in you in that one shot!" Yes this is correct statement.
Russ

"Read between the lines." :)

Post by Russ »

When you will work with me in a person there is not nessesary to "Read between the lines" ;)

"when Russ talks about the perfect single shot it is exactly what he means: put everything that is in you in that one shot!" Yes this is correct statement.

Problems will arise because everyone have own “believes” about subject of “everything”. ;)
Attachments
This is a visual aid that helps you to understand how the distance assistance (The Internet or public forums) looks like without initial evaluation of performance and prolonged line of support.
This is a visual aid that helps you to understand how the distance assistance (The Internet or public forums) looks like without initial evaluation of performance and prolonged line of support.
horse2.png (23.6 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
Rover

Post by Rover »

Those "beliefs" are called "opinions".

They're like assholes: everyone has them, but they don't hold up well upon close inspection.
Russ

Miss South Carolina 2007 famous quote.

Post by Russ »

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don’t have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like, such as and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

"In less than a minute, the 18-year-old Miss Teen South Carolina went from a contestant on the little-watched Miss Teen USA pageant on Friday to a YouTube phenomenon with a video that now has more than 4 million views on the popular Web site." :)

Would you like to share your personal believes with us? ;)
Attachments
I pesrsonally believe.jpg
Peter B

???

Post by Peter B »

There's and old saying I've always tried to live by, If you have nothing good (constructive) to say, don't say anything.

Maybe I.m not asking the right question.

After shooting a good target, how do you put it behind you and shoot another? Do you take your right foot and stomp on the big toe of your left? What works for you?
rmca

Re: ???

Post by rmca »

Peter B wrote:After shooting a good target, how do you put it behind you and shoot another? Do you take your right foot and stomp on the big toe of your left? What works for you?
When I can do it, is because I'm not thinking about it, I'm just executing... That´s the key. Stop thinking on the line. Let your subconscious do the shooting. It´s like you switch off your thoughts and are just enjoying the shots.

It's that simple... but it's a bitch to do! :)
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

PeterB, you need to learn to disassociate yourself from the numerical score. I try to focus on the performance of each shot and not follow the value. If you are able just glance at the position of the shot. You should also be using a key word as you shoot in order to occupy your mind, or a few phrases to positively influence your subconscious mind.

I know the pucker factor is out there and each shooter needs to find a way to control it. Some will not. Believe me, no matter how great the shooter, they still feel performance pressures. Good luck.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Who is Jukka Lahti?
Russ

Post by Russ »

LukeP wrote:Who is Jukka Lahti?
Is it really matter? Do you have a knowledge who will answer your question and his or her level of expertise on the public forum?
It is the only one difference, you will pay $30 in this case. ;)
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Russ wrote:
LukeP wrote:Who is Jukka Lahti?
Is it really matter? Do you have a knowledge who will answer your question and his or her level of expertise on the public forum?
It is the only one difference, you will pay $30 in this case. ;)
Or $700 in the case of Russ ;(

I would be seeking wisdom from Mr. Beamon at this point , he seems to be doing it right.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Should you be reasonable or just greedy by considering your education for the life time?

Greg, it does not matter who will represent the topic and how much he is willing to accept for his own investment in education and experience. It is matter of time associated with changes in the set of knowledge and skills. Unfortunately, I can not accept less. I’m working one on one with my student and supporting my class for three months.
I see the value in some of yours posts when you not arguing with me as well. :))

My recommendation is to shop around, ask correct question, if it is fit to your needs, go for it and establish long relationships with your mentor or consultant, and do not make your decision because it is only $30 in price. ;)
shooter560

Re: ???

Post by shooter560 »

Peter B wrote:There's and old saying I've always tried to live by, If you have nothing good (constructive) to say, don't say anything.

Maybe I.m not asking the right question.

After shooting a good target, how do you put it behind you and shoot another? Do you take your right foot and stomp on the big toe of your left? What works for you?
Peter, you have actually asked the right question, however unfortunately one person yet again is damaging a thread by attacking others, saying those here are basically inept at helping and according to their website we're all ignorant. What a pity he can't make a constructive posting that helps others rather than suggesting the only way forward is paying him a stupid amount of money for his time. I've met loads like him in the past and they are all self centered and unable to see a bigger picture other than their bank balance, maybe one day he will go the same way and quietly disappear into their own hole where the sun don't shine.

Sorry for a small rant Peter, anyway in response to your last part of the post, how do you put one target away and forget about it, its actually very simple, shoot 1 pellet per target, I know its a lot of targets but its worth it.

On the first session 1 shot per target, you only shoot one shot no matter that you might do this 60 times in a match, its just 60 times that single shot. Once the lead has left the barrel there is absolutely nothing you or anyone else can do about it, its history good or bad doesn't matter you can't change it. So by changing the target after every shot you learn to make just one shot, make it well and properly and no matter what level you are at you'll soon learn that all that matters is the single shot.

Now keep those targets till next week. If you shoot 3 times a week do the same single shot each and every session and keep the targets together per session. The next week's first session use the previous weeks first session targets and try to make a better shot compared to the same shot the week before, again you are practising to make single shots but this time attempting to make it better than a week ago. Do the same for all sessions that week and record each session, noting which shots were better, worse or equal, again save the targets as before and repeat again the next week. At the end of 3 weeks you'll have 3 shots per card and all being well as long as you accept that you are ONLY making a single shot you'll start to see an improvement, then you have learnt that no matter what you can't change the past and that you only shoot single shots. When you then try making 5 shots per card or even 10 you won't worry if the last one was a 6, 8 or 10. You are then on the road to accepting the mental side of the game, only a small part BUT its probably the hardest part to learn and accept
Russ

Post by Russ »

Dear shooter560

What makes you think that your suggestion is better than Greg’s? Why someone have to trust you and your avatar more than “Mickey mouse”. ;)

Do not take it personally, we all just having good time here. :)

Even you will try it really hard, it is very little you can do in order to change here without initial consultation and sufficient amount of time invested to each case in order to really change someone’s score performance( if you have the ability to do so). ;)
I can, this is why I do not trying hide my name and established records of the performance.
My best wishes for you.
shooter560

Post by shooter560 »

Russ wrote:Dear shooter560

What makes you think that your suggestion is better than Greg’s? Why someone have to trust you and your avatar more than “Mickey mouse”. ;)
Yes you are right, I have a screen name, however just for you my name is Gary Funnell, I am new to air pistol shooting or in fact any shooting with a gun, however I was an international archer representing Great Britain at all levels for over 15 years, international Paralympic archery coach for 8 years including personal coach to a 2 times Paralympic medallist. Also I have a doctorate in sports physiology.

So nope I don't know jack about shooting but I do know a thing or two about what it takes to get to the top both in technical terms and head games, and what I suggested on how to get your head round making a single shot is no different to how to make a single shot in archery, they are both shooting sports and sports that require a greater need for mental awareness and toughness than almost all others, once you have learnt and mastered the physical side of it.

And I still whole heartedly stand by the fact you are only posting in an attempt to tout for business and not to help others because of a love for the sport. Now please if you have nothing to add to help answer the OP's question please stop posting sly digs at others who are willing to help without having a hidden agenda. Also if you wish to discuss this post then start a thread not by sending me PM's, I have nothing to hide and aren't out to earn from anyone, but I will where possible help as my time and knowledge is FREE for those deserve it
Peter B

Thanks

Post by Peter B »

rmca, Greg, Shooter 560 Thanks for your advice, this is what this forum is for, the exchange of idears. What works for one most likely won't work for everyone, but might help someone.

Russ, if you have something to add I would like to hear it. I wouldn't think I need to be standing in front of you to get your advice on this subject. Who knows, you might inpress a potencial client.

Anyone else have anything to add?
Russ

"because of a love for the sport"

Post by Russ »

@ shooter560
Yes I do it because of a love for the sport!
My approach is different in the comparison of the majority of hunting instructors who suddenly decided to teach Olympic pistol by taking a few educational clinics.
As a psychologist you must understand psychological effect when someone is taking efforts to work hard to establish preconditioned requirements.
When I was in a military I was asked by my superiors to handle suicidal attempt from one of our military personal. They asked me to take care of this situation because they do not want to have negative records to work with official system. I took me two hours to change this person initial suicidal attempt and his willingness to live happy after.
Last edited by Russ on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.