10m 5-Shot Competitions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

10m 5-Shot Competitions

Post by David Levene »

It looks like the 10m Air Pistol Standard and 5 Target (falling plates) events, sometimes referred to as the rule 8.20 events, have disappeared from the 2013 ISSF rules.

A shame, but with the lack of participation it was always on the cards.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Good, I always saw them as a threat to the cartridge events anyway.

Thought we could end up heading down the same path as 50m Running Target.
John C

Post by John C »

I'm just concerned that this might mean the end of the top end 5 shot pistols. I have a C55 that I love, and had my eye on a P58. I guess I should get moving if I want to get one before they're gone for good!

-John
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I doubt it. I suspect that half the repeating APs are sold to bullseye shooters in the United States.

That being said, I've always been ambiavalent about RF air. On the one hand, RF air would threaten to displace RF cartridge guns. On the other hand, in the United States RF cartridge is extremely difficult to find.

I always thought the ISSF made a mistake in trying to make RF air events mimic a cartridge event. They should have focused on creating an event that captured the spirit of RF, but with a target setup that could be purchased by the average shooter, used to train at home, and taken with him to support a match. Perhaps a 3-target bay.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Mike M. wrote:I always thought the ISSF made a mistake in trying to make RF air events mimic a cartridge event.
I'm not sure that either the 5-Target (falling plates) or Air Pistol Standard events actually mimic cartridge events.

As for the targetry, remarkably easy to build at home for the 5-Target event and only 54" long.

The rules actually called for the Air Pistol Standard event to be shot on stationary targets so that wasn't an issue.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Wish I had a chance to try these events, they sound kinda fun.
Peter E

Post by Peter E »

David Levene wrote:
Mike M. wrote:I always thought the ISSF made a mistake in trying to make RF air events mimic a cartridge event.
I'm not sure that either the 5-Target (falling plates) or Air Pistol Standard events actually mimic cartridge events.

As for the targetry, remarkably easy to build at home for the 5-Target event and only 54" long.

The rules actually called for the Air Pistol Standard event to be shot on stationary targets so that wasn't an issue.
Any links to plans or hints for falling plate designs? Have an LP50 on order once my 6 mths probationary pistol licence is up in Feb '13.
Thanks.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Peter E wrote:Have an LP50 on order once my 6 mths probationary pistol licence is up in Feb '13.
6 months probation just to own an air pistol!!!!! Australia is the unlucky country if you are a shooter.
Peter E

Post by Peter E »

Yep, 6 mths before you can own an airpistol and either a rimfire or c/f <.38 (but not both), after 12 mths you can own one of each, but are still limited to <.38 with out a special permit.

Large cal. permits only issued for long range met. sil. or western action matches.

Also only allowed to shoot handguns at approved pistol ranges, i.e. no home air pistol practice, except dry fire.