Need help with Anschutz rifle ID...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

JasonM

Need help with Anschutz rifle ID...

Post by JasonM »

I originally bought this rifle with the idea of making a dual-purpose smallbore silhouette and prone league rifle out of it. After figuring out that the square Anschutz action is a lot heavier than the round action, I think my plans needs to change. I'm primarily a silhouette shooter so I know very little about the prone and position Anschutz models. I have had a couple people interested in buying this rifle or trading me silhouette rifles for it, but to be honest I don't even know what a fair price would be because I don't really know what I have. Hopefully you fine folks will be able to tell me more about it.

The rifle says Anschutz 2007/2013 on the barrel, but which is it? What buttplate is that? I carefully cleaned the bore (with a bore guide, of course), breech, outside of the bolt, and inside the bolt raceway but have otherwise not done much to it. It shot great in the informal summer prone league, especially with two specific lots of Center-X. It actually outshot my custom silhouette rifle (54 action/Lilja barrel/Pharr stock) all the way out to 100 meters off the benchrest gear, even with the lot of Center-X that tested best in the silhouette rifle. The only surface damage that I see looks like something in the finish on the receiver around and in front of the loading/ejection port. Not knowing what that finish is or how to try to clean whatever that is up without damaging anything, I just wiped it down with a light oil like I did the rest of the metal and left it alone. I also didn't remove the stickers on the stock back near the buttplate, because they're cool to see. One says "National Championships 2000" with the interlocking Olympic rings and "Final Olympic Team Selection Match." The other says "USA Shooting National Junior Olympics, 2001, Colorado Springs." Evidently this rifle has shot well for someone other than me. :)

The front sight has "AHG 89079 ULM GERMANY" and "Art. 9760" on it. Evidently each end can shrink/enlarge the inside or outside edge of the floating circle aperture. I don't really know much about it other than that it came on the rifle and none of my rear sights will fit the square action so I haven't actually shot with the front sight. My eyes and my skills with sights aren't great, so I shot the summer prone league (100yds and 50yds) with a target scope.

Here are pictures of everything I thought might be important for identification. Click on the pictures to see larger versions of them.

Between the pictures and what little I know about it and wrote above, what do I have here and what would be a fair price/trade value? After having it shoot so well, I'm actually considering just keeping it. Even if I do, I'd still like to know a bit more about it. Thanks in advance for any information anyone might be able to share! :)
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

You have an Anschutz 2012. It's a lighter weight version of the 2013 Supermatch, that meets the 6.5kg weight limit for women in ISSF competitions. It has the lighter 66cm barrel and a slighltly scaled down stock. Men can use 2012 if they prefer; I think Jason Parker shoots with a 1912 (round action version) in preference to the heavier 1913.

The buttplate is a model 4765, it's the standard fitting for Anschutz 1912, 2012, 1913, and 2013 riles (wood and metal stocks) for the last 12-15 years.
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

Thanks, Tim. That explains why I couldn't find many examples that looked exactly like mine. Unfortunately, that also means that there's not a lot to go on when it comes to the value of it. The two who might be interested in it are friends and fellow competitors so I don't want to value it too high in a trade or sale, and I assume that they'd feel the same. Anyone have a suggestions on a fair value for it as it is in the pictures? Notice that the handstop is missing the quick-release swivel, but it looks like those can be gotten from multiple places for $10 or less.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Jason,

it's not that uncommon, but Anschutz have changed the stock hardware at least once since yours was made. Also target shooters often swap out buttplates, sights, even barrels.
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

Any advice on a fair price/value for everything pictured? As I mentioned, I don't know enough about position rifle gear to sell any of it individually, even though that has been suggested to me more than once. Since I focus a lot more on silhouette than prone, I might just sell/trade this one and try to end up with a 54.18MSR and an old, ugly 1807 or similar stock to modify for the few weeks of summer prone league.
ADC59

Re: Anschutz M2012

Post by ADC59 »

Jason:

Check your PM.

Thanks
Alan Carey