Grip angle doubt ???

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
narayanan

Grip angle doubt ???

Post by narayanan »

Why do most air pistol manufacturers make the angle like in Grip angle 2 ?
During the ISSF final in Bangkok Leonid Ekimov had a grip angle similar to Grip angle 1. what is the reason behind making that tilted grip angle ? Why is the palm rest thick in the area it touches the wrist and thin where it touches the little finger (pinkie) ?
Attachments
TILTED GRIP ANGLE
TILTED GRIP ANGLE
LP10 grip.jpg (10.54 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
FIST POSITION OF MATSUDA & EKIMOV
FIST POSITION OF MATSUDA & EKIMOV
GRIP ANGLE 1
GRIP ANGLE 1
Grip angle 1.jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
GRIP ANGLE 2
GRIP ANGLE 2
Grip angle 2.jpg (16.26 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

There's quite a bit of variation in what people consider a good grip angle. Here's a post I did on sport pistol grips:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=19764

The Pardini SP New factory grip is tilted about 10 degrees more than the Rink grip I got to replace it.

I can't shoot a severely tilted grip without elbow pain, and getting the Rink helped a lot. I actually shimmed it so it's a few degrees closer to vertical.

Part of the theory is that the angle helps to lock up the joints in the wrist, but I think many vendors carry this idea way too far.
vdgert

Post by vdgert »

when using a more tilted grip, you can let the pistol "hang" onto your ligaments that keep your wrist together. You need less/no musclework. Muscles can get tired, can twitch, can be moved (un)knowingly by you. Muscles are an active component. Your ligaments are a passive component and thus will less interfere in your shot sequence. Offcourse, as always: personal preferences, habbits and comfort and your physical (and the pistols) limitations have something to say aswell.
David M

Post by David M »

As a general rule the grip angle will change with calibre (recoil) and match shooting sequence.
Secondly by personal preference and by pistols that you own and use a lot.
Other times it is limited by pistol design ie grip frame or magazine up grip etc.
With the slow precission matchs and low recoil (air and free) you can have a very raked over grip which will help lock the wrist over and stabalize the hold. If you tried this with a .45 you will wreck your wrist.
Rapidfire and Centrefire tend to have a little more upright grip to help with both recoil and shot recovery a quick next shot.
Personal preference also comes into play, those shooting a lot of 1911's with very upright grips will favor a similar feel in a .22 grip.
I shoot a lot of Air anf Free, so in my 9mm Hammerli I use a raked European style grip.
The wedge shape of the palm shelf is a simple way of manufacture as it gives you a reference of a parallel to centrline bottom for machining, once the inletting and shaping of the top is done you could reshape the bottom, as done on some old Hammerli 208 grips.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I have my FP and AP grip angles in the 40-45 deg range. FP is a bit more and the reason I ended up at this angle was when shooting I would often see my front sight drop out of sight as I relaxed and found my natural point of aim. To fix this I had to make some serious mods to my grips so the front sight would naturally line up with my rear sight.

I have also noticed that when shooting STD pistol with my Pardini which has the standard grip angle I use a more firm grip and this tends to bring up the front sight. When shooting a 1911 I have a very firm grip and my sights line up for me really good.

There is some personal preference and also how your body is built which will determine what angle is best for you.