Is this a legal weight location????

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jordan1s

Is this a legal weight location????

Post by Jordan1s »

Hello, I was wondering, is this a legal weight location for the rifle?(the ones behind the buttplate) In an ISSF video, iv'e seen Christian Planar use a similar weight placement, however, this was back in 2004 and im not sure how much the rules have changed since then. Also too, the USAS rulebook is a bit vague with regards to where the stock weights can and can't be placed.

thanks!

-Jordan

RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Have you read the rules to check ? I'm afraid I can't remember such specifics but the rules are free to view and download on the ISSF website.

Rob.
justadude

Post by justadude »

With the new rules coming out the weight attached to the butt is not likely going to pass.

Back in the days of wooden stocked rifles all weights, except barrel weights were required to be within the physical dimensions of the stock. Barrel weights had to be concentric to the barrel and were limited in diameter.

Current rule 7.4.2.3.2 states:Any other weights must be within the dimensions of the stock.

With skeleton stock it became necessary to allow weights to be stuck on the rifle but protruding from the stock. More or less looking the other way.

The new rules state weights cannot extend out beyond the limits of the cheekpiece, apparently sideways although this not entirely clear.

While I don't see something that specifically prohibits it, if I were a judge I would likely look at the weight you have on butt and say that it is not within the the dimensions of the stock. Some might let it go, others may not. Perhaps you could successfully argue it was OK but that is not a "fight" I would want to pick going into a match.

Just my two cents.

'Dude
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

thanks for the input! I guess I'll just slide the weights back under the cheekpiece
gizmodave

Post by gizmodave »

What material are the spacer blocks under your cheek piece?
Photo looks like aluminum, if so replace some of the spacers with brass and you will add weight rapidly.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

TEC-HRO do a 180 gram steel spacer designed to fit under the cheek piece and behind the butt pad. I have two on my FWB fitted behind the butt pad and they do not protrude out side the lines of the rifle.

JSB
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

weights under the cheekpiece are stainless steel tec-hro 140g weights.