HN Sport vs HN Final Match Pistol - spread

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mattswe

HN Sport vs HN Final Match Pistol - spread

Post by mattswe »

Anyone have any experience how HN Sport spreads compared to HN Final Match Pistol?

I bought a case HN Sport 4.5 as I could get them quite cheap. At the time I also compared them to HN Pistol Match by shooting a couple of tins each before I made the decision to by the Sport.

But now I started to worry a bit if the Sport would have some flyers (out of my control) that could ruin my score in competition. So I decided to test a few Final Match batches and get the best one (done by the arms dealer). I asked them to include Sport in the test as well.

Here is the result. As you can see Sport holds up very well to Final Match. But is it only "my" case of Sport that seems to be good? Or is there less difference between Sport and Final Match than people think?

Of course the recoil is greater with the heavier Sport (0.53g vs 0.49g), but nothing I care much about.

Image[/img]
rmca

Post by rmca »

The 10 ring is quite large (not at 10m! :) ) and all of those groups seem to hold the inner ten ring.

If you are hurried about flyers its probably you and not the pellet... Even a slight bend pellet will hold the nine ring... try it and you see.

Of those batches that you tested chose the one that has the smaller hole and use it for competitions. Use the others for training.

Cheers
Rover

Post by Rover »

You were concerned about flyers; I see none.

Your pellets seem to be grouping well (in line with my own testing). Any group shot would easily clean the "11" ring.

Shoot them with confidence.
mattswe

Post by mattswe »

Only 10 pellets were shot for each test. The arms dealer (of course interested in selling me the Final match) claimed that I needed to shoot more pellets (100) in order to see the "correct" spread of the Sport. And that perhaps the 10-20 best pellets was chosen from the Sport (by chance) in the test. But the same reasoning could be done for the Final Match.

I would be very happy if I could conclude that even Sport would have such average accuracy that I could rule out ammo in case of a flyer - and that for my level (570+) I could still use the Sport in competition without much worry.

Unless I get any other results from further testing of Sport - I will continue to use them for training and non ranking matches.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The dealer was right, but with grouping as you show you could use them for any match. You may think top competitors are getting better accuracy. They're not!
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Maybe the flyers were coming from using the heavier pellets. The heavier pellets spend longer in the barrel there for magnifying your mistakes. Were they tested in your pistol because every pistol likes different ammo. I found mine liked rws 4.49 diameter the best but the difference between 4.49 & 4.50 wasn't enough to worry about buying 4.49. What I'd take from your groups shot is try rws instead of h&n they are more like my 50 shot groups with rws club the r10s were holding almost perfect for 50 shots
rmca

Post by rmca »

If it would ease your mind, test the pellets in larger numbers, say 50, 60, 100... I would be surprised to find a hole that was much larger than the ones you have...

What I found when I tested pellets for my LP10 was that as long as they were decent pellets they would produce similar results to those you have...

Only then did I realize that the pellets did not make a difference in the final score.

Test them, and then put your mind back to shooting better

Cheers
mattswe

Post by mattswe »

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions

Note that I have not yet confirmed any flyers with Sport, I was just worried that there might be some. I was actually surprised seeing the result of the test, as I thought Sport would perform worse. But, I will test larger batches when time permits and update the result here.

The test was done with my Morini 162MI
rmca

Post by rmca »

One final thing... When you test pellets in larger numbers be aware that the pistol may not remain clamped in the exact same position. When you load the pistol be EXTREMELY gentle, otherwise your groups will start to deviate in height.
tqb

Post by tqb »

rmca wrote:One final thing... When you test pellets in larger numbers be aware that the pistol may not remain clamped in the exact same position. When you load the pistol be EXTREMELY gentle, otherwise your groups will start to deviate in height.
rmca,
It does help to have a stable stucture to suport the vice that will hold the pistol. Surely it will help you obtain a better stability, diminuishing the height deviation.
:)