Pardini gets OK for Mass.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Greg Derr

Pardini gets OK for Mass.

Post by Greg Derr »

Last Fridat thre GCAB( Gun Control Advisory Board) approved all 11 models of Pardini firearms for sale in Massachusetts. It only took 5 years, but we got em in! More details to follow. A big thank you to Pardini USA for their interest in shooting sports in my state. Greg
Michael

Post by Michael »

That is very good news, too bad it took so long. Pardini is an excellent manufacturer. We use their AP's and have had great luck with them.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It sounds like this only happened due to a concerted effort on Pardini's part, and not through any useful change in the GCAB's procedures.

That means Hammerlis, Walthers, Benellis, TOZ's, etc. are probably still unlikely to get blessed any time soon. On the other hand, it's a lot better than nothing.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

GWhite, you are correct. The manufacturers have to apply to the GCAB for inclusion on the Formal Target Roster. Pardini elected to do so, the others have not.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It might be possible to convince Benelli to do something, but TOZ, Unique & others will be tricky... It is also unlikely that existing companies will want to go through the hoops for pistols they no longer make (like the S&W Model 52).
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I'm really happy I don't live in Massachusetts.
spence

Post by spence »

Gwhite wrote:... It is also unlikely that existing companies will want to go through the hoops for pistols they no longer make (like the S&W Model 52).
Oh, come on. The beautiful, superbly made, fabulously-fun-to-shoot mdl 52, THAT WAS MADE IN MASSACHUSETTS, can't be bought there? What does this Gun Control Advisory Board know about a lovely, harmless wad cutter. It sure isn't the "hi-capacity" 5 rnd magazine that's the problem.

I try not to bash public servants who are doing their best to make the world a better place (even when misguided) but now they've hurt my feelings.

Spence
gn303

Pardini gets OK

Post by gn303 »

Gregg, a little question, perhaps stupid. I know California has a list of handguns that are an exception to safety rule. But is it possible to out line in short the rules in Mass? I'm interested in all gun related laws in the US. You may be aware that in most of Europe the USA is considered a country where you can by any handgun, anywhere. That is officially! Too bad for you that that isn't true :-).
Thank you.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Greg may be able to fill in or correct the details, but roughly speaking:

The state law passed in 1998 basically bans all target firearms as being unsafe because they don't have a heavy enough trigger pull and no manufacturer in their right mind is going to submit three samples to drop on concrete to see if they won't fire.

Greg helped get a "Formal Target Shooting Firearms" exemption law passed over 6 years ago. The LAW says the firearms have to be solely designed & sold for competitive target shooting. The catch is that the state Department of Public Safety decided to implement this by requiring the manufacturers to certify that their firearms are "solely designed & sold for competitive target shooting". Given that many target guns are out of production and/or the companies that made them are defunct, those are dead right there. Even if they are currently sold elsewhere, a typical corporate lawyer isn't going to certify that they are only sold for target shooting because they have no control over what the buyer wants them for. As a result, 6 years after the "Target Firearms" exemption law was passed, there isn't a single .22 pistol on the list. Pardini appears to have signed up for this excessively strict restriction, so that will change a little bit for the better when the next list is published.
spence

Post by spence »

Were there some statistics that showed that "target" guns caused more injuries through accidental and negligent discharge because of light triggers or did they just decide that they were more dangerous?

Thanks,
Spence
BenEnglishTX

Re: Pardini gets OK

Post by BenEnglishTX »

gn303 wrote:I'm interested in all gun related laws in the US. You may be aware that in most of Europe the USA is considered a country where you can by any handgun, anywhere. That is officially! Too bad for you that that isn't true :-).
While, surprisingly, the reverse is true in far more places in the world than most people realize. I, you see, am interested in gun laws outside the U.S. For some fascinating reading, I suggest: http://www.amazon.com/Worldwide-Gun-Own ... ners+guide
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

spence wrote:Were there some statistics that showed that "target" guns caused more injuries through accidental and negligent discharge because of light triggers or did they just decide that they were more dangerous?
Since when have facts or logic played a part in the anti-gun crowd's decision making process?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

spence wrote:Were there some statistics that showed that "target" guns caused more injuries through accidental and negligent discharge because of light triggers or did they just decide that they were more dangerous?
The idiots that write these laws no NOTHING about firearms but what they see on TV. If they are even aware that target shooting is a sport of some sort, they still assume that everyone shoots high capacity 9mm's held sideways. All guns are evil, don't confuse me with facts...
conradin

Post by conradin »

Gwhite wrote: The idiots that write these laws no NOTHING about firearms but what they see on TV.
Actually one of the girls whom I taught revolver recently DID THINK THAT revolvers act exactly like in cowboy movies, and one should shoot them like they do in cowboy movies.

Needless to say it is quite a culture shock to her when she was shown the real thing (the one that belongs to me). The irony is that she inherited a very nice, MINT, WWI era Colt 45 before she was born, but the family was told that the weapon was too dangerous by some "gun expert" many years ago, and have it totally locked up and tucked inside a dark storage area of the apartment, and was told never to open it, let alone touching it. So the family treated it as if it is a family taboo.

I have no idea why I never associate revolvers with cowboy movies, probably because I don't care much about movies in general. I do prefer them over semi-automatics for home defense purposes.

I am happy to say that she is now feel more empowered, and actually feel pride and joy about the family heirloom, and plan on firing it once she is ready. She is doing good on my revolver (cal.7,5mm), and soon she will be ready to tackle my cal .44

I taught her to fill out all the California paperwork so that she is now the legal owner. To be honest the revolver is mint I would recommend her not to fire it!! (or just once).

Slightly off topic, but as you can see, both the public and the idiotic legislature that we voted in are totally ignorant about firearms. The "gun expert" whom the family asked for advice many years ago was even more baffling. Sounds more like an anti-gun nut than a real "gun expert".
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Unfortunately, what passes as a "gun expert" for much of America is anyone who served in the military, or shot a .22 rifle rifle in Boy Scouts. What's more unfortunate is that lots of them are more than happy to pontificate about firearms when they have no idea what they are talking about.

I've taught dozens of basic pistol marksmanship classes, and the worst students by far are the guys who shot something 20 or 30 years ago and think they know it all. The ones who got all their firearm knowledge by watching Dirty Harry movies or westerns are almost as bad. What's fun is when they bring their wives to the classes. In the vast majority of cases, we'll have the wives out shooting the husbands in short order.
jabberwo

Post by jabberwo »

Thanks Greg!

Wish it had happened in time for me to give you some business. Though I will need a .45 bullseye gun soon... :-)

cheers,
Jab