Hammerli 480 vs 480K air pistols

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
daotoys1

Hammerli 480 vs 480K air pistols

Post by daotoys1 »

Im looking at getting a Swiss made Hammerli air pistol and both the 480 and the 480K look interesting.

Can anyone give me some feedback comparing these 2 different pistols to give me information to help me decide which of the 2 to get??

thanks

DAO
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

The 480 has a "permanently" attached carbon Fiber tank, which is as long as the barrel. Some people felt it was heavy, and to fill the tank, you have to screw the gun onto the adapter and tank.

The 480K has a removable aluminum tank which is shorter than the barrel when installed. The user manual says to bleed the tank before removing it from the gun, which is a pain if all you want to do is top up the tank. Because the tank is shorter than the barrel when installed, the adapter may not be long enough to clear the scuba tank adapter when on the gun. I made a flex hose adapter to make it easier to fill the tank on the gun.

Other than the tank, the guns are basically the same.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

The problem is that older Hammerlis are not well supported. If you need parts, you're hurting. The 480 is nice (I own one), but if the seals go...that's it.
doughert@ptd.net

480 comment

Post by doughert@ptd.net »

I bought a 480 shortly after it was released. The reliability was great as was the accuracy in a rest. Unfortunately I believe that the 480s have a design flaw. I've looked at a half dozen over the years and on every one the component that serves as a mount for the front of the air tank and as a mount for the front sight is loose allowing the front sight to rotate around the barrel by a couple thousandths. I would think that movement would be unacceptable for a higher skilled shooter...

As for the 480K it is great - very reliable and accurate. Before Hammerli closed they would convert the 480K to the AP40 gas system including the AP40 junior air tank. I had it done. It cost about 380SFr and the result is a great air pistol...

Regards
doughert@ptd.net

480 seals

Post by doughert@ptd.net »

Cibles in Canada and Larry's guns both have seals. I think the Cibles parts are actually from Hammerli...