test driving a IZH-1

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
siordian1

test driving a IZH-1

Post by siordian1 »

Hello all, I am a novice Free Pistol shooter and I am "test driving" a IZH-1 pistol. The pistol is in great shape and appears to have been shot very little. I have run approx 100 shots thru it but it seems to want to "miss-fire" about every 5th shot. I load it as normal push up on the lever above the trigger , apply pressure to the trigger and then, nothing. I eject the round and try again, sometimes it will work and sometimes it will suddenly go off with no pressure on the trigger. If anybody has suggestions or info on this pistol I would be most thankful.
Attachments
izh-1
izh-1
Clintw

Post by Clintw »

It looks interesting. I have no experience with the model. However, from your description of the problems, I'm wondering if the firing pin might be captive but broken?
Sheila Sanchez

Post by Sheila Sanchez »

I think there is a slight problem in the pistol you might take it into the shop for further check-up.

Last edited by Sheila Sanchez on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Ignore "Sheila Sanchez" - it's just a spammer.

I don't have an IZH -1, and I would think few people do. It looks like it has a Martini-style falling block action from the pictures here:

http://toz35.blogspot.com/2011/11/izh-1 ... istol.html

From your description, it sounds like the sear is not engaging properly. If it is like the TOZ 35 mechanism, the cocking lever opens the breech and engages the sear with the striker. You would feel a resistance to opening the breech that would let off when the breech is all the way open. If the sear is not engaging properly either because of wear or bad adjustment then the striker might not be retained when the breech is closed. The trigger will still set and "click" when you press it, but the gun will not fire. Also, if the sear engagement is faulty, the striker may sometimes be just barely detained by the sear and drop spontaneously.

Ask the owner if he knows how to adjust the sear engagement and see if that helps. If there is no adjustment then it will may have to go to a gunsmith.

It looks like a very interesting gun. I hope things work out for you.

Roger
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

George;

I will be at the Arizona state championships this weekend and hopefully you will be too.

Bring the pistol with you and I will take it home and see what is going on.

If you do shoot in the state championships, keep all of your once fired .22 brass so I can use it to check the pistol for function.

Clarence
conradin

Post by conradin »

Very interesting grip. Usually this pistol has a totally enclosing grip, with grip and fore-end form a one big unit. You cannot even see your own hand!
siordian1

izh-1

Post by siordian1 »

Thanks to all. I will see you tomorrow at the match Clarence. Thanks for your help.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

See you in the morning.
Remember to save all of your .22 brass.

Clarence