Pushing Through Fatigue

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

AusTarget

Pushing Through Fatigue

Post by AusTarget »

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:49 pm Post subject: Pushing Through
Hey all,

Being that at my club each stage is 20 scoring, unlimited sighters and a time limit of 30mins. I have only really been able to stay in prone position without fatigue for roughly that time limit.

During 60 shot matches, My first stage usually consists of 5-10 sighters then 20 scoring. Then a small break and then do another 2 sets of 20.

Anyone have some ways to train to last for much longer whilst still maintaining efficiency? I find my position to be great, however I lose a little bit of control over time.

Amazing watching some just sit tight for all 60+ and being around the 590 + zone.

Cheers
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You can dry fire at home for as long as you want... I'm not sure staying in position for an entire match is a good thing, although obviously some shooters do. Most that I've seen release the rifle and sling whilst staying in position. I personally always unclip the gun completely and most times stand up for at least a few mins. You should train to get in and out of position consistently so the repositioning again should be a problem.

Rob.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

The key to me seems to be, as you got in reference, efficiency with your mental energy. You should apply your energy to the crucial elements of each shot, while lowering your mental level between shots, and in particular while taking a break. There's a vast difference between trying to keep at full concentration for seventy shots or so and fluctuating your level of mental engagement for every shot. If you want an experience to compare it to, get on a treadmill, set it to 10mph and try run at that for an hour. Then, spend an hour alternating 30 second bursts between 4 and 10mph and see which leaves your worse off. Having a smooth, fast, efficient position and technique with regard to reloading and resetting the position for each shot, a good method of relaxing and checking the inner position and zero will make your life extra easy.
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

Hi Robb,

Yeah I've spent time learning to settle into my position by constantly getting in and out of position after each shot. So there's no problem when I get back down. Just wondering If it's beneficial learning to hold for longer than a standard set of 20 or going about as I usually do, which by itself isn't doing too much disservice.

Hi Dave,

Yes I know what you mean by interval training on a treadmill, but in shooting well I've never really thought it through. As in I do have a process which I follow for each shot but I will try next session seeing if I can incorporate a different mental structure that allows for relaxation.

Cheers guys.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

If you're getting good results just doing twenty shots at a time, then that's perfect. What I thought you meant was that the first twenty shots of your match were fine, then you lost focus for the rest of it. If you can maintain focus for twenty shots, break and then do the same again, I really wouldn't worry. I don't believe there's a material advantage to going straight through the match. If you want a break, take it. This is all assuming, of course, that you don't have problems with your timing and rhythm. Alternating the level of your mental focus will provide improved results from shot to shot, but it's not a single-session sort of trial. It'll take a while to get used to. If you do want to try going through the match in one session, you'll need squeaky clean technique, a fast rhythm and the ability to ensure that your mental focus doesn't degrade over the series, which to me means alternating peaks and troughs for every shot. It'll also probably be pretty tough if you have a really tight setup that puts a lot of pressure on your forward hand, elbows and such.
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

Thanks,

Yeah I come back refreshed after each small break so each 20 shot set is fine. Oh I realise it will take time to incorporate and get used to. My position used to be quite tight have only just loosened it up to bring me a little bit lower to the ground as well as provide less tension so that should be fine.

Thanks again