Got a new Model 41 - basic questions

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

djsomers

Post by djsomers »

I did the email return process and it was very quick. Shipped out and back withn two weeks.

That's their system....go with it.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Are you sure there isn't anything below the rails making the barrel tip. It seems like the trigger assembly wouldn't close if that was the case, but be sure first. -- Bill --
Goose

Post by Goose »

It would be nice if there was a barrel tip, but unfortunately the rail is incorrectly machined.

I'm hoping that I also experience the same two-week (or so) turnaround. I appreciate your responses - just sharing my concerns with fellow bullseye pistol enthusiasts. :-)
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

The online service request works well, the folks on the phone are just busy. I'm not carrying any water for them, just used the service with good results a number of times.
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

Just my experience, but if you are wanting significant on the phone communication, forget it. If you want a lot of information about what they did to correct the problem, forget it. But they are quick on the turn-around and they will fix your problem.

BTW. The M41 is just a pleasure to shoot. Hard to explain since it lacks many "features" of some of the European pistols, but it is a well built and very accurate good-ole classic. When it comes time for me to part with my pistols, it will be one of the last to go.
mr alexander

New Model 41

Post by mr alexander »

Goose,

Sorry to learn of the defective Picatinny rail on your new 41. Every manufacturer screws up once in a while (even the best of them). Hopefully S&W will correct this for you in a timely manner.

In order to obtain the best accuracy, most shooters will use standard velocity ammo in these pistols. Unfortunately, some of the best match grade cartridges do not have the power to reliably cycle the relatively long and heavy slide of the 41. You go through the trouble of finding a round that gives fantastic accuracy, only to discover that the pistol won't reliably function with it! What to do?

Wolff Gunsprings manufactures replacement recoil springs of varying weights. The S&W factory spring is rated at 7.5 lbs. Wolff has reduced power springs at 6, 6.5, and 7 lbs. They even have an extra power spring at 8 lbs., which I am assuming would be the one to use with high velocity ammo. By experimenting, you can find the spring/ammo combination that yields the best results possible.

Out of the box, my 41 has always functioned well with CCI Standard Velocity (#0032). I did have the pistol upgraded by Clark Custom Guns; they installed their own match grade barrel (same design as yours) and did a trigger job on it. I am very happy with the results. Good luck with your's.
Last edited by mr alexander on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goose

Post by Goose »

Thanks for the information - very helpful stuff.

I'm much more optimistic today, as I've just gotten an email from Smith and Wesson with a FedEx call tag attached. S&W included detailed instructions on how to ship and FedEx is willing to pick up at my door.

I guess I wasn't giving Smith and Wesson enough credit. Fingers crossed on the repair...
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I tend to use Aguilla SE SV or Wolf Match Target in my 22 semi autos. I do not use any HV ammo.
Goose

Post by Goose »

Just to let you guys know, Smith and Wesson did a very good job getting the pistol back quickly. Two weeks (including shipping time) from start to finish. A message from FedEx the day before the pistol was due to arrive was helpful.

Smith and Wesson wound up replacing the barrel, as noted on the work order. Work looks to be well done. I shot 100 rounds of CCI standard velocity recently without a hiccup. Actually, I had two stovepipes, but I chalk those up to the pistol still breaking in.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I would never use HV ammo in my S&W 41. I use CCI SV, Aguilla SE SV and Wolf MT/SKJagd ammo with total reliability.
38HBWC

fodder for M-41

Post by 38HBWC »

Have you tried Federal Auto Match? Available at Wal-Mart and Cabela's for abt 15$
Goose

Post by Goose »

I've managed to put a few hundred more rounds of CCI SV through the 41. My repair seems like a distant memory as there hasn't been a hiccup since. The 41 has performed flawlessly with the CCI - groups from a bench rest are very tight. My off-hand groups are another story...

I've cleaned the pistol a few times (swab carefully down the barrel, clean the face of the slide), but haven't gotten up the nerve to field-strip. Field-strip pictures look simple, but I've had several weapons that require "unseen" techniques to disassemble/assemble. Are there any quirks to field-stripping/reassembly?

EDIT: I may be committing sacrilege, but I have a cheap BSA multi-reticle sight mounted on the rail. Friends at the range have made faces at the combo, suggesting much more expensive options (aimpoint, eotech). The BSA is simple and seems to work fine - is it wrong to use an el-cheapo sight on a 41?
Rover

Post by Rover »

How incredibly gauche! No wonder your friends are shunning you.

Actually, I have put the BSAs on several springer air rifles, which are notoriously hard on optics. They are holding up perfectly at very low cost. I suspect that many of the red dots out there are the same, but rebranded.
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

The MatchDot or UltraDot will earn you acceptance with your peers and also provide very good service.

Aimpoints on the other hand give an air of snootiness - or if you are shooting Marksman level or below, a clear sign of delusion.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Ultradots and Matchdots are prone to not holding zero. Then it costs $20 to get it fixed. They are very iresponsible when and if they fix them, sometimes saying they aren't broke and sometimes fixing them and not saying it was fixed but just writing on the piece of paper saying "adjusted 10 shots in two inches" and a target shot with rimfire ammo. It didn't say fixed or not broke and the scope was left turned on. I was talking about it on a different site because others had the same problem and sent what I said on the site to their warranty group. They said their tec fixed it and offered for me to send the scope back for free if I thought it still wasn't fixed and they would check to see if it was fixed correctly and give me a new battery. I wrote back and said I was not looking for something petty like a new battery and would like it if they would just let a person know if a scope was fixed or not. The others I was writing to had the same result so this was a common situation. When i wrote back, I asked was it really fixed or not and got no answer. I would like to know because putting this scope back on my Bullseye gun and getting it sighted in before the next match is enough of a pain without finding out that it doesn't work. You can't just benchrest a gun like this and feel confident that it is correct for offhand shots. I even have this mounted on a frame mount 1911 which is way less stressful than a slide mount. All this is becoming too common for this scope to be recommended and we in our group are wondering where to go instead.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Several times on this site, I have commented on the fact that the Ultradots are not "special."

But then, WTF do I know!
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I forgot to mention that it is not only $20 but is 6 weeks almost to the day. I already mentioned how much of a problem it is to get another scope sighted in so the scores won't go down and when the supposedly fixed one comes back, do it again. -- Bill --
Goose

Post by Goose »

Thanks for the information. I won't let the guys at the range tease me too much about my cheap sight. Most of them don't shoot very well anyways. :-)

I'm eagerly awaiting a set of Rink grips for my 41. I opted for the upswept option on the grips, so I'll really have no excuse for not shooting well once I they arrive. Hopefully Rink is true to their word and will ship around Halloween (ordered 'em a few weeks ago).