Hammerli X-esse

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

XLshtur

Hammerli X-esse

Post by XLshtur »

How good is the Hammerli X-esse for 2700 competition? It's almost half the price of the AW93, is it half the gun, or can it shoot 10X at 50 yards?
PFribley

Trailside- Hammerli

Post by PFribley »

Its not the gun. Its the gunner. If you can. The pistol can.
wildpat

Trailside/X-Esse

Post by wildpat »

GREAT gun for the price. I have the 6" and 4.5" and both shoot much better than I do.
The Trailside was made by Hammerli with SIG and sold in the USA. The X-esse was for other markets. After SIG and Hammerli parted ways in 2005, just the X-esse remained; it is part of the Carl Walther Gmbh catalog, as they bought Hammerli.
They are great shooters, and can be found at online sites from $400 to $600 in good shape to NIB. Larry's Guns carry out the X-esse new, and all parts + some accessories.
Technically, they are sound and simple, made with 42 parts. Easy to clean and to take apart, you will find all accessories you need. I prefer the 6" as it can be equipped with a scope mount, though they support a 3/8" groove for scope rings. Only caveat in this case is that the optic needs to be removed for cleaning the gun. Also the slide stop needs to be kept clean and lubricated.
You'll find a lot of good info here:
http://tonybrong.blogspot.com/2009/02/s ... -esse.html

Hope this help!
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

I Did a quick Ransom Rest test on a friends Trailside. It put 5 shots Inside 1/2" at 50 yards with Wolf MT. I would have liked to shot several 10 shot groups but time did not permit.
bullseyeny

Post by bullseyeny »

I really enjoy mine. Excellent way to get started a great value. Shoots extremely well and with the aftermarket trigger from Larry's a great piece. Slightly different recoil response as the barrel is slightly higher in your hand and there is no dampening system but I wouldn't give mine up for anything. It gets cleaned about once per year with 2500 rounds a year through it. Will shoot any standard velocity ammo well with better stuff tending to shoot better groups. At the 50ft range CCI Standard will shoot a ragged hole completely inside the ten ring of slow fire target.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

I sold my 208S when i bought my xesse its almost built the same and shoots just as good, plus parts are readily available. IMO there is not a better 22 for bullseye out there for under 2K.
XLshtur

Xesse

Post by XLshtur »

Thanks to all that replied, especially for staying on the subject - rare on many posts.

You have all helped me make my decision.
yana

Post by yana »

2 at our gunclub had 1 NEW. Both were sent back to the factory with faulty barrels (they always keyholed the shots).
XLshtur

Xesse

Post by XLshtur »

I have shot my Xesse at three matches. Still not confidant with the two stage trigger which causes me to get shot's outside the 10 ring sometimes.
38HBWC

Trailside

Post by 38HBWC »

I have found that the 180 gram counter weight, Rink grips and Ultra Dot Match Dot were pivotal additionas in building up my Trailsides. I sent both of them to Larry Carter and he upgraded them with his trigger. I could not be happier. I only wish there was a muzzle porting option or recoil abatement system similar to the Pardini SP22 to dampen the flip.
william

Post by william »

...causes me to get shot's outside the 10 ring sometimes.
Never heard that one before! I understand lack of confidence in a new trigger, but blaming that for not shooting 100 in the slow fire stage is something I'll have to try sometime. It may also come in handy in air pistol.

The pistol shooter's encyclopedia of excuses keeps growing.