"Dry fire"

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Post by Rover »

Let's face it, dry fire is pretty boring. I also think it's necessary.

A while back I saw a posting on here where the shooter was practicing air pistol. He would shoot until he had a bad shot (say an 8 or 9) and then go into a five shot dry fire mode.

I've been playing with that and found it to be more "fun", yet effective. I have recommended it to newer shooters to help keep their interest up.

I think Russ' comment about "postive statements" is dead on.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I’m glad you see some value in my posting. ;)
Cheers.
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

Rover wrote:Let's face it, dry fire is pretty boring. I also think it's necessary.

A while back I saw a posting on here where the shooter was practicing air pistol. He would shoot until he had a bad shot (say an 8 or 9) and then go into a five shot dry fire mode.

I've been playing with that and found it to be more "fun", yet effective. I have recommended it to newer shooters to help keep their interest up.

I think Russ' comment about "postive statements" is dead on.
Hmm... Seems interesting, I think I might try this for air rifle and SBR as well. It might just make a difference. Thank you!
ciscovt

Post by ciscovt »

Chris wrote:I truly believe in the 100:1. I spent one season training FP and shot ~60 rounds as I prepared for a big match the rest of the time was very focused 20 mins sessions dry firing working a specific goals each time mostly around the basics. End result was a personal record of 547 and second place in the NRA sectional behind Zurek.

I think a more experienced person can keep their performance capabilities flat with minimal live fire.

I will have to say for me dry firing only seems to really help my FP and AP and not so much my 45 scores.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Yep, that's what Chris said.

I said it's boring!

I didn't say it didn't work.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I thought it was boring also until I figured out how to get something out of it and now it is not so boring. Given my time available and distance to the range dry firing is my only option on week nights.

One of the problems with live fire is it can hide mistakes you are making.

Ever pulled the trigger and called the shot an 8 but when you look you see a solid 10?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Chris,
Yes to all the above. Seems like my suggestion would work well only for AP at home, but that's OK.
shooter.177

Post by shooter.177 »

I dryfire 10-20 times just before I start shooting everytime.
my be two three times on weekends, or one time weekdays.
Too much dry fire makes me feel bored and the intrest for shooting dont allow me to do more than that.
I dont know if I am wrong, I think why you need to dry fire too much when you can do live fire.

rgds,
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

shooter.177 wrote:I dont know if I am wrong, I think why you need to dry fire too much when you can do live fire.
Yeah, you're wrong. Go back through the thread from the top. Dry fire will show you things that you will never see during live fire. If you are moving the gun during the trigger pull that will be completely obscured by the the events during live fire. I have taught people to shoot informally and found that one of the best exercises is to load 5 out of 6 in a revolver and watch the gun as they hit the empty chamber. Even beginners learn from that.

In the very least, dry firing helps develop stamina and muscle memory through repetition. I don't know about you, but I don't have nearly enough time or money to go to the range as often as I'd like, so dry fire helps my hand/arm/eye learn the drill. Sanderson makes the point that even in his situation where the ammo and gunsmithing are free and he has as much range time as he wants, dry fire still has a payoff. For me, after a while of practicing without the interruptions of live fire (loading, changing targets, etc.) the gun becomes part of my hand.

Roger
shooter.177

Post by shooter.177 »

Dry fire will show you things that you will never see during live fire
hi Random, you are right. Even I feel the same, before I was not too consious while dry firing. Now I give more attention.

rgds