Cal 45 for Bullseye

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

lg2011

Cal 45 for Bullseye

Post by lg2011 »

I'm seeking advice on what is the best caliber 45 to purchase for Bullseye. I prefer one with an adjustable rear sight and trigger weight, also one that can be mounted with a Dot and fitted with an anatomical grip. My budget is $2000+. Thank you very much.
LG
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

I don't know of anything that meets all your desires.

The Pardini GT has adjustable trigger and sights, but scope mounting irequires drilling and can't be changed back and forth easily, unless there is something new out there.

A 1911 with combination rib has adjustable sights and easy scope mounting, but no adjustable trigger. Some people drill and tap the frame for a set screw to push on the leaf spring, but that only adjusts weight.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

Pardini would have been the one except that it's not California legal.
LG
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Les Baer 1911 is available with adjustable sights or with either frame mount or slide mount for a dot, The iron sight model could also be fitted with a slide mount although most people these days just shoot red dots on these guns so iron sights are kinda obsolete in todays bullseye competitions. These guns can be bought for around 2k from Gil Hebard guns or champions choice, these will shoot under 3'' at 50 yards, can be fitted with easy to find grips of a multitude of makers and designs and since the trigger must be at least 3.5 lbs to be legal it will come pre-set to that. The 1911 platform is the favorite choice of almost every bullseye shooter and has been the only type gun to ever win the national matches and still holds the highest score recorded since 1974. Hard to argue with that heritage. The pardini and others failed to impress and preform as good and thats why they were and are poor choices for the sport.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

Can you please tell me where I can purchase the grip. It is not on the Rink grip's list.

The reason why I wanted an adjustable trigger is that I read that the trigger weight for 50 yards is 3 pounds and for 25 yards is 2 pounds. It will be beneficial to me if I'm able to adjust the trigger myself rather than have a gunsmith do it for me when needed.

With your experience, would you agree that shooting 25 yards at 2 pounds rather than 3 pounds makes a difference in the score?

LG
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

lg2011 wrote:The reason why I wanted an adjustable trigger is that I read that the trigger weight for 50 yards is 3 pounds and for 25 yards is 2 pounds.
Not true! (you may well have read it, but it's not correct.)

A 1911 pattern pistol with a Rock River Rib sounds closest to what you're seeking.
gulliver62

Post by gulliver62 »

Your .45 trigger weight will have to be 3.5lbs for conventional pistol.

I have seen, and i think they are Clark or maybe Rock River, ribs that are a rail in the middle with a blade in the front and adjustable rear irons. This would let you put the dot on and off if you so choose.

I have seen Rink, Morini and Nill grips for the 1911. Try RoCo or Larry's.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

This one has the Rock River rib and sights and an Ultradot. The RR rib is steel and heavy. I am working with a manufacturer on a lightweight version for my shop.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

http://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpSR.php?s ... 255&p2=255

You can also get it with the NRA bullseye legal upswept palm rest. Call and talk to Deanna at Larry's Guns she will help you get what you need.

Scott
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

Based on the responses I will go with Les Baer. I'm also not concerned with an adjustable trigger weight anymore as I understand that there's no need to adjust it.

I have contacted Mr. Thomas Rink of Rink Grip and he said he makes the 1911 grip although he's not sure if it will fit the Les Baer.
The link here led me to the rink website featuring the Colt 1911 grip. I presume that that will fit the Les Baer?

As far as the rail, I think that the weight help with the recoil? I'm very much interested when the light weight version when its available. By looking at the photo I wonder if the Dot moves with the slide?

I have a meeting with my FFL tomorrow to discuss the purchase of a Les Baer. Can you please tell me which model is for Bullseye competition and hopefully is a California compliant. Will the 6 inches be better than the 5 inches?

Thank you for your advices and if you can please answer my last few question that will be greatly appreciated.

LG
gulliver62

Post by gulliver62 »

If you go to the Les Baer site he has a menu of 10 CA legal pistols.
This would be one option

http://www.lesbaer.com/UM5.html

None seem to come with a rib but they may have a version.
I don't think the 6" gives you any advantage.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

I was on the phone with Les Baer. I was told that a pistol for Bullseye is a special order the difference being that ii will have a faster lock time. it will take eight months to build.

Is it worth the wait? Should I put the competition and practice time on hold for 8 months in order to get this faster lock time? What is a lock time anyways?

LG
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

There are some businesses that keep Les Baers in stock. Check with Gil Hebard or Champions choice.
Another option would be a used bullseye gun or to go to a known maker such as Greg Derr who already posted here and see what their price and lead time would be. Dave Salyer also builds a very nice gun at a reasonable price.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

I was not aware that champions choice was selling Les Baer. I actually had bought a few target pistols from Homer. I will contact the others to see if they have it in stock. Thank you.
LG
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

lg2011 wrote:I was on the phone with Les Baer. I was told that a pistol for Bullseye is a special order the difference being that ii will have a faster lock time. it will take eight months to build.

Is it worth the wait? Should I put the competition and practice time on hold for 8 months in order to get this faster lock time? What is a lock time anyways?

LG
If you check with the two distributors i mention above, they stock the les bares with no wait time. as for the rink grip, a 1911 les baer is the same as any 1911, it will fit i have had several sets of rink and Nill.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

lg2011 wrote:I was on the phone with Les Baer. I was told that a pistol for Bullseye is a special order the difference being that ii will have a faster lock time. it will take eight months to build.

LG
I think you are getting some BS on the lock time excuse.
BEA

Lock time?

Post by BEA »

...faster lock time for a bullseye gun? That is the first time I have ever heard anything like that.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Oh yes, faster lock time is as easy as changing out the mainspring housing spring with a heavier one. Normally a wadgun uses a light spring so that cycling is easier with the reduced loads. Faster locktimes include a heavier mainspring and a lightened hammer. I just looked at Midway's catalogue and they offer mainsprings from 15 to 25pounds. I'm sure if I checked out Brownells, I could find a titanium firing pin and maybe a hammer. Locktime can be significantly changed in a Colt or clone.
Chris
trulyapostolic

Re: Lock time?

Post by trulyapostolic »

BEA wrote:...faster lock time for a bullseye gun? That is the first time I have ever heard anything like that.
Lock time can probably be improved, but like you said it's a non-issue in a bullseye gun. If someone is concerned about lock time they probably need to be more attentive to trigger control.