Marvel Precision FTF 2nd Round

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

matchguy

Marvel Precision FTF 2nd Round

Post by matchguy »

Hello,

My Marvel Precision Unit 1 has been working pretty good with one small problem. I get a failure to feed on the 2nd round quite often but only when I do the following:

When starting out or after a break with the slide locked open, I load a mag with 5 rounds (cc1 std vel). I pull the slide back slightly to release the tension on the slide catch, then I push the slide catch down, then pull the slide completely back and release to allow a round to load. Fire the shot then the 2nd round doesn't feed and gets jammed.

What does work is if I close the slide without a mag inserted or after my mag is empty just leave the slide closed, then insert a mag with 5 rounds, rack the slide to load, I never have a problem.

My unit has the new GSG mags. Anyone else experience something like this? Any ideas?

Thanks
alb

Post by alb »

I have 2 of the GSG magazines. They aren't wide enough, and as a result, the magazine release doesn't hold them securely enough. They tend to drop out of the pistol whenever I fire a shot.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I had similar problem with the Kimber mags I used.
I returned the Kimbers and bought the GSG.
I get perfect feeding with the GSG,
but sometimes have problems with feeding the first round. Dropping the slide does not work, I have to slingshot the slide, and even doing this does not always work well.
I find it best to put the mag in on a closed slide and then slingshot the slide.
Seems like different frames, mags and units work or do not work.
You have to be lucky or try different combos till you get it right.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I agree with Trooperjake. If you dont use the slingshot starting with a closed slide, you are asking for a misfeed on the second round. What I believe is happening, is when the slide is carefully dropped on the first round, it is moving slowly enough that it allows the back of the second round to pop up so it is not being held in the correct position any longer by the feed lips of the magazine. This is what causes the misfeed on the second round. just my theory. Lots of oil sprayed on the mag will sometimes stop it, but to be sure, it is easier to just get used to using a full slingshot prior to firing.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

As said already, you HAVE to slingshot the slide with GSG magazines.
I have never had a problem with these mags, they are solid and very reliable.

Clarence
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

If this is a common problem, which it looks like it is, I can live with it. At least it functions well the rest of the time.

How then do you handle the loading from a closed slide in a match?

Prior to the command to load, you leave the slide open. Then at the command to load, release the slide, insert the 5 or 10 rounds loaded mag then slingshot the slide and begin? Can the slide be closed upon the load command?

Thanks
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Nothing in the rules state the slide must be open to load.
Just pointed in a safe direction while loading.

I never lock back my slide unless I am doing a quick cleaning of the breech.

I use a small red chamber indicator that has a flag and inserts into the chamber and hlds it open an eith of an inchish.

When commanded to load, all I do is cycle the slide which kicks out the ECI onto the table, it is now closed, insert mag, cycle the slide, now ready to go.
When the first five shots are done, the slide is closed, remove mag, reload at command and cycle slide and ready to go again.
All while the gun is pointed down range in a safe direction.
When done and make safe pull slide back an inch or so and insert ECI.

Rince and repeat, good clean safe routine.
Oh and I also cycle the slide with my thumb and fore finger from the front underneath(not pulling on the rear).

For what it is worth.

Clarence
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I use Ciener mags and do not have a prblem.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

I think some are missing the point here.
If you use the GSG magazines as intended you do not have a PROBLEM.
I guess the word "problem" is what is confusing me.

I will now address my point.
When I purchased these with my Marvel, I loaded a magazine and inserted it into the gun with the slide open.

If you actually look at the top round, it may and was pointing upward in the magazine because the slide in the hold open position is still pushing on the tail of the .22 case.
At this point you cannot just drop the slide, you have to fully cycle it all the way back and release.

The second round will also be pointed upward at a small angle and that is the misfeed and along with possibly the first round cause it is nose up.

So, the way to properly use the GSG is load from a closed slide and I personally have never had a problem with my GSG's so far(knock on wood).

I know I may sound kind of over bearing at times, but I am an automotive technician by trade and disect and learn to understand the mechanics of components and machines.

So there you have it.
There is no problem with GSG magazines for the Marvel as long as you understand that using them you have to abide by the design.

Thanks for reading.
Clarence
KC's Kustom

Post by KC's Kustom »

Clarence,

Have you tried using one of the EGW high mag catches? It will hold the mag higher in the receiver and I'm going to bet it will solve your feeding problem.

KC
843-267-3773
www.kcskustomcreations.com
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

As far as I know once everybody is back behind the line and the command is given " the range is clear you may handle your guns" you can pickup your gun remove the ECI and close the slide and be ready to insert a mag long before the comand to load. This could save you from the feeling of being rushed if you are.

Scott