Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

Hi guys.I have a friend interested in purchasing an Anschutz 2013 with a short barrell with a factory bloop tube extension.They werent made for a very long time and obviously it wasnt anything the other manufacturers followed with so any reasons why?
Any thoughts either way would be appreciated

Thank you in advance
GeraldC

Post by GeraldC »

They are still in production.I use one with a short and a long barrel depending on ammo available at the time.I test batches of ammo with both barrels and use the best combination.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Anecdotal, but the short barrels never seemed to realise their potential. Obviously some shooters were happy with them but most seem to have tried them and moved on. The most oft repeated complaint I heard was that they were "fussy" about ammunition.

As I said, anecdotal only, but they don't seem to have caught on.

Rutty
Bill Burkert

Post by Bill Burkert »

I shoot a 2013 Anschutz purchased in 2002. It came with a short factory barrel and bloop tube. I replaced the factory barrel with a drop-in 21" Lilja which I installed in 2007 or 2008 and my prone scores jumped.

After several years of prone shooting, I removed the Lilja for housecleaning and when I put it back on the accuracy was not what it was. I have no idea why, but I understand that this is a common complaint with the 2013 action.

I still use the 2013 for 3P but built a prone rifle on a Hall action/Lilja barrel. It is extremely accurate.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I use a short barrel 2013, and it shoots just fine. I shot a 598 with it... and plenty of 200-20's.
Matt
dakota308

Post by dakota308 »

I bought my daughter a FWB 2602, short barrel with a bloop tube. For her it works great, since she is 5'2" and she doesn't have all the barrel weight out front. Added benefit is the balance is similar to her FWB C60 air rifle.
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

I think I know the rifle you are talking about, the scores he shot with it before he lost his eye sight were absolutely phenomenal for a shooter of his age.
The shorter barrels were said to be an advantage in 3P with shorter barrel time for the bullet--true I wouldn't know.

The obvious test is to try for a trial before purchase.
GeraldC

Post by GeraldC »

After several years of prone shooting, I removed the Lilja for housecleaning and when I put it back on the accuracy was not what it was. I have no idea why, but I understand that this is a common complaint with the 2013 action.
I changed out my short barrel because it stopped shooting.
A few years later i put it back in for practice and reset headspace and torque.
Amazingly it shot well again.That is why now I use either barrel to suit the ammo available.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

If he likes the balance of the rifle, there is absolutely no reason not to get one. When I first switched to a short barrel Anschutz with a weighted aluminum stock (stick on wheel weights out back), my standing and kneeling scores shot through the roof due to the improved balance and recoil characteristics. I also found myself getting less fatigued during a match.