Trigger overtravel

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

schatzperson

Trigger overtravel

Post by schatzperson »

Just how does trigger overtravel figure in the overall equation?
A while back, while reducing this adjustment on AP at the range, someone told me that maybe too little is a bad idea.
Made me stop and think : Perhaps its better to have overtravel so that the trigger pull force is "dissipated" rather than have it hit a sudden stop and transfer the resultant to the pistol body ( remember this will be during the critical bullet dwell time).

Had my second day at the range yesterday with my Pardini 45 and the results were awfull.
The trigger breaks at 2lb 12oz, second stage appears to be adjusted out totally so its single stage. There is no hint of overtravel at all.
I struggled and failed spectacularly to keep within the black on the standard 50 ft target. Snowbirds out of nowhere!

Cant remember when I last shot so badly consistently.
It like another hand holding the gun.
A disembodying experience.
Is this the 45 Thingie ?
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Sounds like a trip to the gunsmith to get the trigger set correctly is the thing to do. It should have a two stage set up, 1st stage takes up slack, 2nd stage breaks the shot, to be bullseye legal it needs to pick up a 3.5 lb weight and hold it. As for the stop, adjust it so when the trigger is pulled back and lowered slowly it clears the sear, you can feel the hammer hit the sear if its not adjusted out enough.
schatzperson

Pardini

Post by schatzperson »

Not many matchgun gunsmiths in these parts, so i have to go through this on my own.
I had another go at the range, once more at 50 ft on a B2 target; I did a little bit better than last time so more than likely its just the new experience with a 45 thats throwing me off.
Oh, did a typo in my previous post: Trigger breaks at 3lbs 10 ozs, so thats ok.
As it sits, there is negligible overtravel, not sure if this is good so I wont touch that for the moment.
However, I was wondering if I should adjust in the second stage ( its single at present). Being totally new to Conventional Pistol, I am unsure if a two stage trigger is ok for all 3 tempos.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

By 2 stage most mean slack as 1st stage and break as 2nd stage. So if you can move the trigger at all without the shot being fired your ok, if not you have a gun issue and i would find a gunsmith asap. if you checked the ober travel by holding trigger all the way in and can cycle the hammer its full swing without feeling any sear contact your good if you do feel something keep backing out the set screw in the trigger till the touching goes away