Sight picture problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
narayanan

Sight picture problem

Post by narayanan »

I use a Walther LP300XT. I am nearsighted (Myopia). I use prescription glasses for shooting. I am attaching a photo of my sight picture. Why is it like this ? Should i change the grip angle or get shooting glasses ? Please provide your valuable suggestions.
Attachments
MY SIGHT PICTURE
MY SIGHT PICTURE
Sight Alignment Left.jpg (9.76 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Oops. Never mind.
Last edited by RandomShotz on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Custom grip modifications will do the trick.
I’m assuming that is the common pattern.
Old10MShooter

Sight alignment issue

Post by Old10MShooter »

Hi Narayan,

The problem could be that you may be torquing the grips or have the wrist bent or have the natural point of aim incorrect.

With regard to the torquing of the grips, when you first grip the pistol grip, turn it around (with the air pistol unloaded of course) and see how your fingers look - they all need to appear horizontal and flat - pressure should mostly be felt from the middle finger.

When you set up your hand just before you raise the arm up to the target, check to make sure your grip is not bent - do the same when you are above the bullseye before you start lowering the air pistol into the aiming area.

Before you start with the above, make sure your natural point of aim is correct - what I mean by that is that the target needs to be directly straight to your face - it should not be on one side or the other - this is very difficult to ascertain by folks with eyesight problem as the center line of the target looks different with the regular glasses on (both eyes open) and then with shooting glasses on (one eye covered) - the brain plays tricks on you. Your natural point of aim will be correct if the front post lies directly straight with the target.

Once you ascertain the correct sight alignment above the bullseye and then lower it to the aiming area - all your focus should be on the front post - or rather on the space between the front post. It is important to make sure that you have enough light coming from the either side of the front post - to begin with, make sure that the rear sight gap is the same as that of the front post width - then you adjust the gap accordingly to have enought light between the post - you can tell this is the correct width when you stop fighting in keeping the front post from "touching" either side of the rear sides of the gap.

See if the above works - it works for me - I have both short and long sight with astigmatish and it sucks!

Cheers,

Raj
narayanan

Post by narayanan »

Thank u all for the help, especially Old10MShooter.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Shooting glasses will provide two benefits:

1. You want to get your lens strength right. Generally, you want your relaxed focus to fall at the hyperfocal distance of the rear sight, which (unless you have really short arms) ends up at +0.75 diopters added to the spherical component of your distance vision prescription.

2. I assume we are talking Knobloch style glasses, so you can adjust the lens position and angle, so when you shoot, the lens is centered and perpendicular to your line of sight.

Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
shootingsight@nuvox.net
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Release your grip pressure a little and rotate the pistol to the right a fraction within your hand, and then increase grip pressure again. Raise the pistol and see how the sight picture looks now. Repeat the procedure until after raising the pistol the sight picture looks aligned.
Never bend the wrist to correct poor sight alignment....always loosen grip pressure, adjust pistol and then firm up the grip pressure again.
This will be a lot cheaper than a new grip, or if your pistol doesn't have any, or adequate grip adjustability. Often, a new, expensive orthopaedic grip will not guarantee that after raising the pistol you will be faced with correct alignment, so it is either re shaping the grip ( very risky for the inexperienced ) or trying something as simple as I have described.. Just remember not to alter the wrist to correct misalignment errors.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

A LP300XT should have more than enough adjustability to cope with that kind of deviation. When I grab my dad's pistol, the front sight comes up on the right (outside!) of the rear sight, and I know that I can turn the whole grip enough on the frame to get it right for me, so the range must be about 10 - 15 degrees or so.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

As Tycho has suggested, adjusting the grip angle should be your first plan.