Suggestions on how to organize my Pelican box

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Suggestions on how to organize my Pelican box

Post by seamaster »

I have a Pelican box(1560) with pick N pluck foam in it.

I am interested in getting some ideas on how to maximize its use.

How do you organize your big pistol box?

Pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

What do you plan on putting in it and using it for? Example 1 gun 2 guns ect., I just use my pelicans for air travel do you plan on using it for day to day range use?
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

For daily use. Three air pistols, LP10, IZH 46M, and a Daisy 747, plus all the accessories, shooting glasses, ear muff.

Pelican has two layers of pic N pluck foam.

Just want to get some ideas on how you arrange your stuff.
cerami

Post by cerami »

Attached are a few pics of how I arranged all the shooting gear in a 1560. Basically I did a two levels arrangement, lower for the guns except the .45 upper for all other gears and the .45.
Attachments
030.JPG
030.JPG (37.35 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
033.JPG
033.JPG (35.04 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
032.JPG
032.JPG (32.37 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I had one of those cases, and frankly was not happy with it. The outer case is fine...but the natural tendency is to set it up as a two-layer case. Unfortunately, the upper layer is just the foam. It's not rigid, which means you have to completely unload it to get at the lower layer.

IF you can have a tray system fabricated, it would work great. The other solution I've seen people do is to use a different foam setup, with the guns set in the case vertically.

Me? I needed a case for international travel, and wound up having KK Air make me a custom three-section case. A little costly, but it's worked great. I load two guns on each side with their accoutrements.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

To save others the time, KK Air is no longer a business. No idea if it's the same People, but the last info I could find pointed to:

http://icc-case.com/

and the cases are similar.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

How do you lift the top soft foam layer off to get to the lower foam layer? Wouldn't top soft foam with gun/gun stuff fall apart as you lift it up to get to the bottom layer?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

seamaster wrote:How do you lift the top soft foam layer off to get to the lower foam layer? Wouldn't top soft foam with gun/gun stuff fall apart as you lift it up to get to the bottom layer?
Stick a rectangle of cardboard followed by 1/2" foam under the top layer - works for many
j-team

Post by j-team »

cerami wrote:Attached are a few pics of how I arranged all the shooting gear in a 1560. Basically I did a two levels arrangement, lower for the guns except the .45 upper for all other gears and the .45.
Airline baggage handlers would have no problem getting your air pistol rearsight embedded into your standard pistol grip. To make it arline proof, you need to have a thick layer of foam between each pistol. I found this out the hard way when my rapid fire pistol barrel found it's way through 2cm of foam to take a chunk out of my free pistol grip once!
Last edited by j-team on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
conradin

Post by conradin »

cerami wrote:Attached are a few pics of how I arranged all the shooting gear in a 1560. Basically I did a two levels arrangement, lower for the guns except the .45 upper for all other gears and the .45.
The lower four pistols for all five of the ISSF pistol disciplines (Morini, Morini, Morini, Walther)?
cerami

Post by cerami »

For the top portion I just sliced the original foam using a hot wire and glued a piece of D-Board or plastic signs material between the foam halves then added two cord string as pull handles. This setup has been used since 2008, travelling across US and several foreign countries and have endured many mishandling by TSA, and Customs personnel. After 5 seasons the foam is showing some wear but nothing a little of 3M glue can handle.
cerami

Post by cerami »

conradin wrote:
The lower four pistols for all five of the ISSF pistol disciplines (Morini, Morini, Morini, Walther)?
Yes, ISSF and all Morini except for the .32 Walther. The .45 was added to the lineup for some conventional events including the Mid Winter Championship at Phoenix.