fwb 2600 lube help.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tonyv138

fwb 2600 lube help.

Post by tonyv138 »

Hi,
I looked, but could not find relevant details, the fwb booklet deos not have these ether.

Couple ofweeks back i picked up fwb 2600. I am trying to find put what would you recommentd to use on the bolt, trigger, barrell for maintenance, etc...

If there is a thread with the past discussion, please point me to it.

thanks!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Tony,

ideally you'll need several products, all of which can be easily bought from any good gunsmith/shooting supply shop. I'd recommend:

Gun Oil: pick any branded gun oil. Use this for light external cleaning (dirt, finger marks, etc), and rust proofing. You can use gun oil to clean the barrel bore, but it's not ideal.

Bore cleaner: you want a solvent that removes powder fouling and lead (a powder solvent will also clear the residue from bullet grease and the priming compound). Plain old Hoppes no 9 will work, but there are many others, Bore Tech Rimfire Blend, and Shooters Choice seem to be popular.

Grease: use a tiny smear on the back of the locking lugs and the cocking cam (all on the bolt handle collar).

Tim
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Good advice from Tim

Can I add to that, see if your gun shop sells acid free grease, [FWB grease is a acid free synthetic ]

Try not to let any oil near the trigger mechanism or even seep there from over lubing somewhere else.

JSB
tonyv138

Post by tonyv138 »

Thanks for info. I''ll use fwb grease for the bolt and trigger. What about REM OIL for the bore and general wipe down? Can you please share opinions or experiences with other products.

Thanks
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

As far as I'm aware Rem Oil is an ordinary gun oil in an aerosol can. It should be fine for general wiping down and rust protection. Yes. you could use it for cleaning the bore, but I think there are many superior products. Unless you absolutely must ahve just one product, I'd get a dedicated bore cleaner (like Hoppes No 9) as well as a general purpose gun oil.
tonyv138

Post by tonyv138 »

Sorry, i did not mean to confuse the question. I plan to use hopes 9 for cleaning the bore. After that i was thinking to run a patch wetted with REM OIL until next clean up or for storage. Does this make sense? Also, i read REM OIM has teflon in it, any issues with that? So far i could not find any info whether it is corrosive or not...

thanks
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Ok, I see. Unless you live in a very damp environment, like just on the coast, or you leave the barrel in storage for months, I wouldn't bother with the oiled patch. Having the dry the barrel before you shoot is just another thing to forget.

Teflon isn't corrosive, but some people believe that it neccessitates more fouling shots; i.e the first few shots from a cold clean barrel are more often fliers than with non-teflon oils.