Hi

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

acrybb

Hi

Post by acrybb »

Hi,

Firstly i will introduce myself. Im Andy and im from Glasgow and i have only just got into shooting.

I am looking at getting my first gun, an air rifle. Im unsure what to get i have narrowed it to 3 options

Weihrauch HW97K (with synthetic stock & Nickel finish)
Air Arms TX200
Air Arms S400

The shop i am thinking of buying from is doing a package including scope back pellets etc. What i need to know is exactly what is allowed. I plan to use the gun for both target and field so i have picked these guns knowing they are capable of field. In terms of scope/sights what is and isnt allowed in target shooting?

Thanks
Andy
taz

Post by taz »

Hi,

The guns you mention are not designed for 10m air rifle.
You are trying to combine two completely different practices, 10m air rifle and field target.
These require different rifles and setups.
eg in FT and HFT scopes are allowed but in ISSF 10m air rifle they are not.
Also the FT and HFT rifles are more powerful since you will have to take shots up to 50m.

Finally the first two rifles you mention are spring powered and the third is a PCP.

I would suggest that you go to some clubs and try both sports and find which one you prefer. Then you can think about investing in equipment.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your reply Taz,

Yes i understand they are 2 different disciplines. I do not wish to shoot at competition level. So what i need is something that will suit both. So My assumption would be that the shorter range target rifle will not be usable for field shooting. However a longer range rifle will be able to shoot shorter target. I know what the rifles are in terms of PCP & springer. So that would lead nicely into the next question. High end springer or low end PCP?

What would you recommend gun wise for around the same money?

Thanks

Andy
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

Sorry that last post was me it didnt ask me to log back in.

Additionally i have been to a couple of clubs and tried out the S400 and the TX200, I liked both. I hear that the Weihrauch is as good as the TX200 however it comes with the finish i like. Also i enjoyed both sports. The target as it was a good way to learn to shoot properly and the field as it was just good fun. So i would like to do both but at the moment i would like something that can be used for both.

Thanks
Andy
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

I have also seen that air arms do an S200 in target model which comes with a diopter sight fitted. would this be acceptable? It comes in 6ftlbs and 12 ftlbs
taz

Post by taz »

I would not classify the S400 as a low end PCP compared to the springers you mention.
Usually most clubs do not allow the usage of air weapons with an energy exceeding 7,5J.
On the other hand a 7,5J rifle would be too weak for FT.
Like I said I believe that it is not easy to combine the requirements of these two disciplines into one rifle.
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

The S200 mate :)

Andy
taz

Post by taz »

Another suggestion.
Most 10m ISSF discipline clubs I know provide pistols and rifles for people starting out. These are usually older but still very capable match type weapons.
So you could buy a FT oriented rifle for FT and use the club's rifles for target.
taz

Post by taz »

The S200 is a fine rifle. Still I would rather have an old FWB 300 or similar for 10m AR.
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

can the power output in joules not be affected by the pellet you use?

I like your idea as the club does provide a gun. it would be nice to have one for both though. then i dont know how easy it is to swap sights & scope about or if you even can.

Thanks
Andy
taz

Post by taz »

It is affected but not from 6ft lbs to 12 ft lbs.
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

Ah right.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Actually energy is a function of mass and velocity. Actually it's 1/2 m v^2. So it really doesn't change that much because as you lessen the mass the velocity increases, it's actually why they use energy rather than velocity ( in Canada they use velocity).

Post by Guest »

Do you second what taz is saying? I'll not be able to get a gun that will do both so get a field gun and borrow the target gun?

Andy
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

Lol sorry did it again.

Andy
taz

Post by taz »

I never said that you will not be able to get a gun that does both. I said it will not be easy.
Here is a gun that could do both.

http://steyr-sport.com/
Go to Products -> air rifles-> adventure line -> field target
You can change its power with a simple change of the transfer port.
But you would still have to change the hamster, scope, hook etc to take it from FT guise to 10m AR.

It is also more a lot more expensive than your budget considering the guns you mentioned in your initial post.
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

Ah right. Sorry my bad. Misunderstood.

I'll have a wee look on the pc when I get a chance

Thanks
Andy
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

you were not wrong about budget. I could probably buy 2 guns one specific to the categories for that money lol :)

Andy