When buying used what do I look for?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bored184

When buying used what do I look for?

Post by bored184 »

I find myself in the market for a used PCP Match Air Rifle. When it comes to looking at used air rifles I have to admit I am out of my expertise. What should I look at when it comes to normal use or signs of abuse?

Thanks,
Bored184
Rover

Post by Rover »

If it functions OK, then it probably IS OK. Most of the time problems are either seals or striker springs; either easily fixed.

They really don't get abused, but dropping one could bend parts or a barrel. You can usually spot that.
bored184

Post by bored184 »

Thanks Rover. I was wondering if that was the case but I just wanted to make sure.
Rover

Post by Rover »

BTW As with the match air pistols, you can save a lot of money by going to an older SSP over a PCP with no real (as opposed to imaginary) fall off in performance.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Just a bit of info, I was about to replace my RWS 75 hand cranker with an Anschutz in the earier 2000's when the dollar and the Euro went nuts. All of a sudden the air rifles increased in price markedly. I was complaining about this at a prone smallbore match and someone walked up to me an offered a slightly used Walther at an amazing price. For a few bucks more the guy sold me his scuba tank and all his pellets and cleaning felts.

Let it be known in your shooting circles you are in the market for a PCP and you might be amazed. I am still shooting that Walther 10 years later and it is still in perfect condition.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
Rover

Post by Rover »

I have to admit, the same thing happened to me with my Steyr LP1. Got "the works" for an unbelievably low price. Otherwise, I probably would not have bothered.

My scores didn't go up, though.
bored184

Post by bored184 »

I dont really run in very big shooting circle. I started a new job this year teaching at a school with a marksmanship. I am hoping to start helping them out as well as working on my own techniques this winter. I have been luckily enough to pick up some great used equipment in the past and I am hoping to do it again with an air rifle.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Used is the way to go. Just have cash in hand and keep a close eye to get the sweet deals on the rifles that were bought and never shot. I got a 8002 S2 "used" a couple years ago. The first owners daughter thought she wanted to shoot and they sold it to a friend of mine that thought he wanted to shoot more. He ended up selling it to me when shooting didn't tickle his fancy. I would be willing to bet both of them combined didn't put a tin of pellets through this rifle. The first week I had it I shot it a lot more than that lol. I have put about 20,000 pellets through it now and it still looks as good as the day I got it, like new.

So go used, WTB ads will bring out some real deals at times as well. These rifles are designed to be shot a lot of times and the external condition gets hammered if it has seen a lot of use especially club use. But so long as the internals are all good to go it should provide you great life and be easily fixed when needed.
bored184

Post by bored184 »

Thanks for all the help. I currently have a want to buy add in the classifieds. I guess the only thing left to do is to sit back and be patient.
joysmith22

Post by joysmith22 »

Hi bored,
This is really nice but i don't think that it really works in every caseI also agree with Rover that Most of the time problems are either seals or striker springs; either easily fixed and yes they really don't get abused.Thanks rover for your post i almost agree with you...

Phen375 Reviews