Best Telescopic Sight for Prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

GaryD

Best Telescopic Sight for Prone

Post by GaryD »

We were having a discussion in the club today in regards to the best scope for prone, with a couple of guys saying that a 24x target dot being better than a higher magnifiction scope that I use.

Do you guys who have a lot more experience with scopes have any preferences or comments.

The distance was 50 metres
tenring

Post by tenring »

looks like no one wants to answer. Yes 24X or 25X power is very good and hard to go wrong. Easy with no hunting for the target. Have lots of quality optical options in this range too. The more power you go just magnifies the movement and can be intimidating and well must make you try to force it still.

Weaver T-24 hard to beat for the money. Next and a little more expensive is the Leupold Silhouette 25X. Best dot size all-around is 1/4 min. 1/8 is on the small side and 3/8 is on the larger size. Smaller dot = more precise outlook, but can be tiring on the eye over the long match. 3/8 minute dot easier to see and well almost fills the X ring at 50 yds. Nice at 100 yds so it very acceptable.

Hope that helps.

tenring
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I have an older model Tasco 6-24 that I use on mine. The 24 is great for ammo testing, while I can dial down the power for prone. I've found that 18x is about optimal for me in position. I should point out that every one else in my club who shoots scope uses 24x or more. Several people use a Weaver 36x.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Thanks for the comments guys, but it seems from them that it still comes down to personal preference.

I have tried to find a post that Eric U put on about the scope that he was using but for some reason I cannot find it.

One of the problem here in the UK is getting a good scope for target shooting, most of the ones that are available at a sensible price are the lower mag ones meant for shooters that shoot vermin etc.

I dont know what it would be like trying to import ones from the States, would it be allowed.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

I prefer 20X to 24X myself but many are using up to 40X and at the 6400 in June one shooter that did Very well was using 50X. Its just a matter of practice and realising that the "fire hosing" you are seeing is always there even if you cannot perceive it.

I used fine cross hairs then a dot for years then tried and fell in love with straight medium cross hairs or a duplex. I still use a dot in high power as the increased distance seems to make keeping track of the dot easy for me while this is not so for me at the shorter rimfire distances.

Another problem that helped make up my mind what scope to buy for rimfire was the 50 foot indoor I shoot in the winter. Many scopes will not adjust to 50 feet. I used a Weaver T24 for years then had to get a Leupold EFR with duplex when the NRA changed to the USA-50 target. For some reason the Weaver was easy for me to use on the A36 target but I kept losing the dot in the USA-50 target.

Take a look at what is available to you in the UK and post here. Yes, the USA shoots a lot of scope, half of matches here are any sight.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
tenring

Post by tenring »

Pretty sure Eric uses a leupold 25x silhouette with a tiny custom ordered 1/10 min dot.
Tenring
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

/viewtopic.php?t=28785&highlight=scope

I believe this is the thread you're looking for.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

mtncwru wrote:/viewtopic.php?t=28785&highlight=scope

Thanks for finding the topic for me, I looked for it way pass the date it was posted. I think I will have to change my glasses. Cheers
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

GaryD wrote:
mtncwru wrote:/viewtopic.php?t=28785&highlight=scope

Thanks for finding the topic for me, I looked for it way pass the date it was posted. I think I will have to change my glasses. Cheers
My pleasure. I've found that using wildcards in the username search line is helpful, since Eric U. and a few other posters I'm often trying to find sometimes sign in as guests.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

GaryD wrote:Thanks for the comments guys, but it seems from them that it still comes down to personal preference.

I have tried to find a post that Eric U put on about the scope that he was using but for some reason I cannot find it.

One of the problem here in the UK is getting a good scope for target shooting, most of the ones that are available at a sensible price are the lower mag ones meant for shooters that shoot vermin etc.

I dont know what it would be like trying to import ones from the States, would it be allowed.
You can get pretty much any scope you want from the UK, just ask your gunshop to order it. You may have to find a gunshop further afield who are the stockists of that brand but they should all order it. Buying from the US would be an option but shipping (+ tax) would hike the price, and should you have a problem with it, expect to have to post it back again.

Rob.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

RobStubbs wrote:
GaryD wrote:Thanks for the comments guys, but it seems from them that it still comes down to personal preference.

You can get pretty much any scope you want from the UK, just ask your gunshop to order it. You may have to find a gunshop further afield who are the stockists of that brand but they should all order it. Buying from the US would be an option but shipping (+ tax) would hike the price, and should you have a problem with it, expect to have to post it back again.

Rob.
Thats a fair comment Rob with having to post it back to the US if there was a problem with it.
If there was a dispute over what was wrong with it then it would be very difficult to do anything about it.

So it looks like I will try and get one from the UK even if it costs a bit more, at least I will be covered by the "Sale of Goods Act"
Bill Burkert

Post by Bill Burkert »

For what it is worth...

I used a 6X-24X with a 1/4" dot for a number of years. I used it for 3P and prone and always shot it at 24X in prone.

This summer, on my prone rifle, I went to a 36X with a 1/8" dot. The crosshairs are fine and the dot is a little small. I tend to lose it in certain light conditions. I, however, like the higher magnification especially for shading at 100 yards.

I'd be real happy with a 36X with a 1/4" dot.

Lots of real talented shooters use the Leupold FX3 in 25X or 30X, but my complaint with that scope is the 1/2" or 3/8" dot. The FX3 was designed for silhouette shooting. I have a couple and used one for prone. I think the dot is too big but others like it.

Try a couple types and see which works best for you.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Thanks Bill for your comments, the last couple of weeks I have been trying out a 36x with a fine cross hair and a small dot.

When I first tried it out I didn't like it, I was all over the place but has time has gone on my steadyness has improved and my grouping is getting better.

I used it today when the light was not to good and I did not realise till I started shooting the card, that one of the 50 metre diagrams was badly printed and I struggled with it.

The other problem here in the UK is that not many shoot with a high power scope sight mainly the benchrest boys, so I dont have access to a number of scopes to try