Score distributions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Linecutter

Score distributions

Post by Linecutter »

I've seen a few threads here from people trying to find out what is "normal" for their scores. The users here & the results of physical competitions aren't necessarily helpful in judging this & I've yet to find an equivalent of the archery handicap tables in the public domain. (I'm happy to be shown them if they exist :) )

Our local postal competition has records going back a few years & runs a league system to allow people to be competitive at their own level. People tend to take it as read that they will be shooting competition cards, so I think that there is less bias away from "the wild" than might be elsewhere.

I've digested the archived results into a simple summary (males with females & all averages corrected to correspond to a 60 shot match - the league entry is 30 shots per week). The averages are based on the return from the last year's scores that were submitted, so should be reasonably reliable.

If anyone else has a similar I'd love to see how the numbers might change with geography - there seem to be
Attachments
Table showing statistics for the scores
Table showing statistics for the scores
AP-table.png (6.57 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
Histogram, with normal curve. There are some low outliers.
Histogram, with normal curve. There are some low outliers.
AP-Histo.png (30.33 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It's interesting that there seem to be a lot of people stuck around 540... Lots more than either ten points higher or lower.
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

Just to understand the chart, the frequency axis is the number of times that score was shot by someone during the season? So, for example, the 12 times 540 was shot could be by two people shooting it six times (12) or twelve people shooting it once?

How many shooters did you have?
Linecutter

Post by Linecutter »

These are the averages for the last year that the person competed in the league. I.e. the average of between 180 & 360 shots for each person. there are 203 different people's data in the histogram.

There are grouping artefacts in the bars - which represent a range of 5 points scored on average. The single point group graph is flatter & harder to read!