Nearsighted - what do you use?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

clamdigger

Nearsighted - what do you use?

Post by clamdigger »

I am very near sighted. For smallbore, I am using a pair of Decot shooting glasses I bought when I used to do trapshooting, and I have a 0.5 diopter on my front sight. The Decot glasses are not really that great for prone shooting since it seems like I am looking through the top left edge of the glasses. So I was debating whether to get some better shooting glasses. For those of you who are near sighted, what do you do?

A couple of choices:
1. Continue using my setup and maybe get a newer pair of Decot glasses that let me raise the glasses more.
2. Get Champion frames with a 25mm lens holder and have my eye doctor order a high index lens. I wonder if it would fit the lens holder. Has anyone done this?
3. Get contacts. If I did this, not sure if I should use a diopter on the front sight or in shooting glasses.
4. Get Lazik and do something like #3.
Bob3700

Post by Bob3700 »

I am an HP Prone shooter and started with a pair of Champion Olympic style glasses. My front sight has a .5 diopter as well.

The Champion style glasses have been replaced by Decot Hy-Wides. The reason for that is I was looking for protection for both eyes, which the Champion's didn't have. My Decots have the adjustable nose piece and are working very well. I think that these are the better setup for me as I now have a left lens that puts the down range wind flags in focus. The nose piece allows you to raise the lenses so that you are looking thru the center of the lens.

With a long bbl and the .5 diopter, I use the normal prescription in my shooting lenses.

Hope that helps.

Bob
DavePat

Post by DavePat »

I'm nearsighted and I shoot 3 position smallbore with scope, open and aperture sights and use Jaggi Nova titanium frames with a 30mm lens that is positioned almost over my nose. Took my long distance prescription and added .5 to the sphere number and both my front and rear sights are in focus as well as my scope image. I also use a blinder on my non aiming eye as well as side blinders which gives a little protection. You can contact Art at the web site below and he will fix you up with great lenses.

http://www.shootingsight.com/
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

The correct answer is that you want total lenses that add up to your distance prescription, plus 0.5 diopters. If your distance is a -5.00, you want a -4.5.

There are several options and considerations as to how to execute this, but since strong negative lenses shrink the image more the further they are from your eye, contacts on your eye are my recommendation.
gwsb

nearsighted

Post by gwsb »

I have shot smallbore for decades with some sort of glasses. Tryed every thing you suggested except lasix. The only thing that really worked for me was old style hard contact lenses.

The advantage of these lenses is that it actually changes the shape of your eye (I think) and can correct for all sorts of eye problems. The downside is if outdoors it can be very painful if dust gets in your eye. But they do work.

The problem with glasses is that they make things in focus by making them appear smaller. The contacts dont do that, so the sight picture is huge by comparison.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

I use Bob Jone's glasses for both smallbore and Highpower shooting. They are very nice units for the price.

http://www.bjonessights.com/glasses.html