Cheek is slipping

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bpscCheney

Cheek is slipping

Post by bpscCheney »

What could I use to prevent my cheek from slipping off of the cheek piece as the match progresses? I wipe the sweat off but my face still slides down the cheek piece. Any ideas?
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I had the same problem until I put a piece of moleskin on mine. A roll cost me a whopping $5 at the local drug store.
bugman1955

cheek is slipping

Post by bugman1955 »

I use What A Grip. You can buy it at a tennis store. It is used for the tennis racket handle, it works.
rifleshooter3

Post by rifleshooter3 »

Anschutz makes a special material to go on top of the cheek piece you can get from Champion's Choice. A tennis grip works well (as bugman1955 suggested), however it can be difficult to wrap depending on the shape of your cheek piece.
kjbrowne

Post by kjbrowne »

Get the tennis grip cut it in half and use 2 sided carpet to attach it. The carpet tape is very thin and will let you position the tennis grip right where you place your cheek.
justadude

Post by justadude »

I'll give another vote for Dr. Scholl's Moleskin or similar store branded product.

Easy to get, just visit the foot care section of your local grocery or drug store.

Easy to work with and inexpensive enough so that if you screw it up or it just gets a little old and nasty you don't feel bad about cutting and trying again.

Cheers,
'Dude
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7404 ... /CHEEK-EEZ

Comes in different thicknesses as well. Not really cheap but will hold up better than mole skin IMO. I have two carbon fiber stocks that are gell coat smooth and when the heat of summer has you sweating buckets getting a good cheek weld is tough and it always wants to slip when you get on the trigger.

I need to order some myself thanks for reminding me!

Bo
ehampel

Post by ehampel »

Interesting, I was thinking the same thing. I shot 3200 last weekend, and my neck is sore. Starting when the temperatures are cool, my face does not slip. But as noted sweat changes that. I notice that newer stocks have a more aggressive angle on the cheek piece. Not the rounded one like the older stocks. I was thinking about whittling a new cheek piece out of some scrap walnut I have laying around. Better or worse idea than applying a sticky material?
Abi

Post by Abi »

For me Moleskin doesn't work at all. The texture and thickness were all wrong.

I strongly prefer the Anschutz cheekpiece cover carried by Champion's Choice. It is a black dense foam which can be cut into pieces. I stays on good and my face doesn't slip in the high humidity of the southeast.

I also tried, out of desperation, this padded tape that is made for the grip of a baseball bat. It had the texture of electrical tape but with foam in the middle. It didn't slip, but was very uncomfortable on the face.

Abi
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

ehampel wrote: I notice that newer stocks have a more aggressive angle on the cheek piece. Not the rounded one like the older stocks. I was thinking about whittling a new cheek piece out of some scrap walnut I have laying around. Better or worse idea than applying a sticky material?
You aren't the only one, I personally prefer a very sharp edge; it seems to work with my face (small cheekbones, wide jaw). I find it's too esy to flop about on a broad curve, especially when my face is sweaty.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

If there is a Jo-Ann Fabrics close to you, they sell a thin, adhesive backed craft foam for about $1 for an 8.5x11 sheet. I've been using the stuff for years on both wood and laminate cheek pieces, and it works great.