Range Grass Advice...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Thedrifter

Range Grass Advice...

Post by Thedrifter »

First Let me show you what my range looked like today.

so as simple as i can put it, this range needs work and I have the approvel to do it, now i just need me an edumacation... I discovered that there are about 300+ grasses "thank's Google" and that the best suited for my area is likely to be Tall Fescue. based off of what you see, what am I in for? Any advice to offer?

I'm not looking for golf corse green grass I just don't want dirt and crap blowing around wile I'm trying to shoot, I don't want that in my rifle. anyways i spent the better part of 4 hours picking up trash and fishing for brass.

Anyways im going to start off with a small test area the first 20 yards or so and see what happens with some water, seed, fertilizer, and love. if it looks promising ill keep with it or decide upon a new plan.

Cameron
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

Just a thought for what looks like a very difficult job, a local Tennis club gave us the old surface off one of their courts. It is a bit like artifical grass and is pinned out for the first 20 odd yards, easy to keep clean and no mowing or watering.

Works great in the high use area in front of the mounds.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

For high traffic areas you might consider gravel. I would do a gravel path from the firing point to the target then along the target line. I would then fill in the areas with a mixture of grass that has a high percentage of tall fescu.

The problem is if you are trying to grow grass a people walk on it, it just won't grow.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It always seems to make sense to have a metre or so in front of the firing point in something other than grass.

No matter how careful you are, if you were to drop and lose a live round it could make a nice mess of your lawn mower.
john_almighty

Post by john_almighty »

David Levene wrote:It always seems to make sense to have a metre or so in front of the firing point in something other than grass.

No matter how careful you are, if you were to drop and lose a live round it could make a nice mess of your lawn mower.
Good point. I would hate to think what would happen, if your mower blade stuck a live round especially at the rim. we have a concrete floor to stand on that runs in front to some length before giving way to grass. that way we can always sweep the brass easily to dispose off for recycling.
j-team

Post by j-team »

john_almighty wrote:Good point. I would hate to think what would happen, if your mower blade stuck a live round especially at the rim.
They just go POP (used to happen often on our old range), but best to avoid them if possible.

We now have old "astro turf" from tennis courts. Looks like grass but you don't have to cut it and you can sweep it.
Misny

Post by Misny »

St. Augustine works well in sandy soil and warm climates, but like all grass, it has to have water to get it started and keep it going.
david alaways

grass

Post by david alaways »

If you do fescue grass"dwarf tall fescue" is what you want. St Aug if grown properly in the right habitat is a pain in the grass. Burmuda is what you will find on most greens(golf) actually is the grass for you .(little or no mowing) drought tolerant, etc etc etc. Personally I would throw out ALL grass idea and go with a crushed rock. Crusher dust is nice, spreads good, becomes solid, can be cheap if you have a rock yard(Quarry) near by.Decomposed granite is about the same but cost more. Artifical turf in that area will fill up with sand (with no way of getting it out) Ive done this for over 35 years I wished I knew this much about shooting.
Rover

Post by Rover »

No question; Dave knows grass. He originated the statement, "Grass, gas, or ass; nobody rides for free."