Hand-me-down Beeman (Feinwerkbau) model65

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
LeadSlinger

Hand-me-down Beeman (Feinwerkbau) model65

Post by LeadSlinger »

Hey everyone,

Long time reader (mostly in the Bullseye Pistol Talk section) - first time poster. This is a great site with lot's of knowledgeable people! So thanks in advance.

So I'm chatting with my dad in his gun room, and he says "by the way - you want this thing?". From a drawer he pulls out a Beeman Model 65. At least it has what looks like a Beeman stamp on a Feinwerkbau air pistol. I tell him, "sure... I guess. Looks neat" as I try to hide my excitement. It looks in perfect condition, but my dilemma is that I have no idea about the pistol. I've heard great things about them, but have never shot nor handled one. I can guarantee that it hasn't seen the light of day in at least a decade (or two). The FWB 65 manual I downloaded (thanks, Pilkguns!!) says that there really is no maintenance required, but I have no idea of its internal condition. My life experience with airguns is limited to ventilating 100's of cans with a Crosman 760 Pumpmaster as a kid. So, with this fun little toy in my hands, I have lots of questions...

1) Is there anything I should check/lube/clean/verify before I do anything with this pistol? I haven't done anything except hold it in my hand.
2) Is there anything I should NOT do? Obviously, safety is #1 and this question is more for the mechanical-oriented issues. Is dry firing a bad thing? Over-cock it? Screw up something?
3) Can you still get parts for it? Any good places on the net for spare components?
4) Any special or preferred ammo required? He gave me ~500 pellets to go with it, but if I really love this thing I will end up needing more.
5) What should I expect from it? I've heard impressive things about it, but my experience is mostly with Bullseye 22LR shooting.

Again... thanks in advance!
taz

Post by taz »

Do not lube it and do not dry fire it.
Use lightweight pistol pellets.
As long as it is in good condition that is all that should be required.
If it has the blue seals then you probably won't have to do anything else.
Enjoy it.
I used mine after more than 20 years I stopped shooting competitively and it shoots as good as when it was new.
Parts are not difficult to find in case you need some.
Rover

Post by Rover »

They are supposed to be OK to dry fire, but I'm not keen on it.

They have a two position trigger weight switch (for match and for Bullseye practice). There is also a part that screws on for recoil simulation.

These are fine guns and are capable of beating anyone at the club level and beyond if you've got the stuff. Don't let anyone BS you that the PCPs are better or more competitive, although they may be more easily fitted to you.

I recommend RWS Basic or Hobby pellets for it. Our host, Pilk, can handle parts and repairs.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

If your gun has the blue/green breech seal, you're good for many years. Also you should check to see if the piston seal and buffer has deteriorated. The new piston seal for the FWB 65/80/90 is green and the buffer is black in color.

You should use a small amount of FWB special grease to lubricate the wall of the compression tube when cocking the pistol to prevent galling and also the pivot of the cocking lever. When you have already checked that all the seals are in good condition, add a drop of blue loctite on the pivot screw of the cocking lever to prevent it from coming loose and having contact with the frame.
J.Hoes

Post by J.Hoes »

You may want to download a manual HERE

Greetings Hans.