Pentathlon laser pistols - Olympic 'sport'

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Cobbslane

Pentathlon laser pistols - Olympic 'sport'

Post by Cobbslane »

I watched with interest the Modern Pentathlon at the London Games - mainly because one of our Finest Ladies won a medal - well done her!
However, I was quite surprised to see the use of laser LP10's in use by the competitors some of whom might have performed better after a bit of coaching in the use of such weapons. So I thought that I would do a bit of research into these guns.
I wonder if you too are as surprised as I was in reading the absolutely lousy justification in the move to the use of laser in lieu of pellets! Nothing wrong with their decision to go that way, after all it is their sport and they can decide how they like...
But to argue that the main reason is 'pollution' is completely unfounded, highly inaccurate, unjustified and plain silly - and that is an understatement.
One simple reason - the omission of the 'recycling' of the lead from the caught pellets in the pellet catchers which must account for 99.99% recurring of the lead used. With the current price of metals on the world market who in their right mind would not re-cycle. Especially when the pellets are held in a confined space which makes it easy to do so.

For a full read have a look here.. http://pentathlon.org/media-centre/late ... r-shooting

Gerry
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

This isn't new the laser have been in use for a few years, another main reason is the fact that you even need less of a range to shoot on, no back stop is required.

I don't think lead was the main justification considering the youngestbpentathletesmstillmshoot on precision targets the next ones shoot on drop downs. Any one who knows even a minimal amount about industrial hygiene knows that lead effects are more dramatic the younger the exposed person is.

Basically they just through a bunch of stuff at a wall and used whatever stuck as justification.

As a shooting coach I actually work with more Pentathletes than strict pistol shooters now.

The worse thing that I've seen is the poor gun handling skills that the laser pistols are breeding. I actuall ran the range at the pent Nationals last year and wow.
conradin

Post by conradin »

What is the point of having shooting as part of the competition if the equipment is not at least military grade? The least they should do is to use the Pardini SP.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

How is a Pardini SP military grade? They been using air pistol for years how's that military grade? What armies fence? And outside ceremonial use which ones use horses? So what the hell does it being military grade have anything to do with the sport? And yes I know the original of the sport, but it hasn't had anything to do with the military for decades.
BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Agreed, not military grade. Still, don't give them any idea; soon the fencing will be done with light sabers!
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

We are probably looking at the future of pistol shooting as a sport.
sparky

Post by sparky »

deadeyedick wrote:We are probably looking at the future of pistol shooting as a sport.
Which is very, very sad. Political correctness run amok, IMHO. We shouldn't be so quick to appease the IOC; they will never be satisfied until the Olympics are pared down to the big revenue generators, track, gymnastics, and swimming.
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

deadeyedick wrote:We are probably looking at the future of pistol shooting as a sport.
So sad - but unless here is some very strong and coordinated resistance, it will happen sooner rather than later.
conradin

Post by conradin »

laser=no recoil
I think they need to have big calibers for shooting so that it will generate the maximum recoil.

As previous poster wrote, we are one step closer to have modern pentathlon being played on a Nintendo Wii.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Dlo you have ant idea what it is you're talking about?

The laser pistol is basically an attachment that goes on an LP10. A shot is activated when you shoot a charge of air. So the feeling is almost exactly the same as air pistol. So using your idea we should get rid of all the handgun events because none of them use large calibre pistols and it's all about recoil? Maybe you should be on the IPSC forum, that's what they're all about. They get turned on by big bangs and flashes even if they can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I'm personally not for the laser pistols, but there are lots of reasons to be against them that are much better than lack of recoil which really hasn't been apart of the sport in many decades.
BarryB

Post by BarryB »

conradin wrote:laser=no recoil
I think they need to have big calibers for shooting so that it will generate the maximum recoil.

As previous poster wrote, we are one step closer to have modern pentathlon being played on a Nintendo Wii.
Got that right. Laser's- no concerns about windage, bullet drop, ammo consistancy, etc. Just one big light beam, traveling at the speed of, well....light.

One big video game. The new kids will fit right in!
conradin

Post by conradin »

If the idea of modern pentathlon is to mimic what a late 19th century and early 20th century soldier would do, then at least in the pistol they should use something appropriate. Air and Laser is not. If it is OK, then they can start using treadmill for the running part, or God forbids, laser beam light sabers for fencing..or just use the Wii. It is easier for the latter because then everyone will be on an equal level. You just fight against the Wii character, not each other. Save time, more entertainment for TV.

They should at least use pistols that are in CFP events.

Yes, I feel that it is more of an IPSC type sport than a normal Olympic shooting type sport, unfortunately. It was a great idea, but it is out of date. The military pentathlon is so much more realistic, such as throwing (grenade) competition.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Not my sport, but as the reality of it degrades, so does the importance as a serious sport. My crystal ball shows the sport being dropped as a legitimate Olympic sport in the not too distant future.
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

[quote="deadeyedick"]We are probably looking at the future of pistol shooting as a sport.[/quote]
JFuller

AP

Post by JFuller »

I think if it can be incorporated into Women s beach volleyball it will be a great spectator sport! John.
ilionkid

Post by ilionkid »

Lasertag on the (ahem) clothing. Smaller targets than anything I can hit.
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

Real Duelling - YES!

Make it the same as fencing with the first laser strike in a target area on the opponent's laser-sensitive vest, etc to electronically record a "hit".

Much better spectator sport - but I disagree with it on so many levels. I don't know why I'm writing this. The Devil made me do it!!!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Gotta love people who expect people to respect the sport they like but trash talk a sport which they themselves have never participated in.

Maybe if the beach volley ball people encased themselves in stiff canvas and leather and gained 40 pounds you guys would then think its a sport too.

Newsflash many in the general public hold the same views of our sport that you guys hold of other sports.
Cobbslane

A Gold Medal for the USA

Post by Cobbslane »

Looks like 'Curiosity' just got a gold in the Rapid Fire Laser Pistol event of the Moon Olympics.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/spac ... -rock.html

It also appears that whoever trained 'her' did a better job than a few in the London Olympic Pentathlon event that I saw :)
BarryB

Post by BarryB »

jliston48 wrote:Real Duelling - YES!

Make it the same as fencing with the first laser strike in a target area on the opponent's laser-sensitive vest, etc to electronically record a "hit".

Much better spectator sport - but I disagree with it on so many levels. I don't know why I'm writing this. The Devil made me do it!!!
Don't forget to add the requisite sound effects; ka-ching, pow, zing, just like in the comics. That'll really draw the younger crowd.