qualifing for international junior matches

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rifleshooter3

qualifing for international junior matches

Post by rifleshooter3 »

How does the qualification process work for the Junior World Championships and the Youth Olympics for rifle? Thanks for your help!
Ryan.jacobs

Post by Ryan.jacobs »

Well, I don't claim to have all the answers but the way that I know how to get on the U.S Junior Team includes the following:

1. Shoot a Junior Olympic qualifier in your state. In order to get invited you need to, A: win the state championship AND achieve the min qualifying score. Or B: get invited based on your score alone. Usually for the J1 class this comes out in the high 550's for smallbore and mid 560's for airgun.

2. Assuming that you get invited to the JO's, you have to place in the top 2 in Air Gun or 3p Smallbore (why they don't include prone is beyond me). If you place in these highly coveted positions they will issue you a nice shiny new Team USA jacket and you will be officially a part of the Junior National Team.

That is the only way that I know how to get on to the team, if there are other ways, I would like to know as well.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Ryan.jacobs wrote:Well, I don't claim to have all the answers but the way that I know how to get on the U.S Junior Team includes the following...
Assuming that rifleshooter3 is in USA - might be in Argentina, Mexico, wherever - is left to some form of guesswork as the location is not specified
rifleshooter3

Post by rifleshooter3 »

Ryan.jacobs:
You can also get on the team through nationals at ft. Benning. Here is a short list of ways to get on the team:
50 m 3-Positions JOSC 1,2
50 m 3-Positions USASNC 1,2
50 m Rifle Prone USASNC 1,2 Men
10 m Air Rifle USASNC 1,2
10 m Air Rifle JOSC 1,2
National 3 Position Precision Air Rifle Championships 1
However, I would have thought that selection to big matches (even for juniors) would be available to all of us. Sort of like the Olympic trials are open and the winter airgun championship are open (they are used to select the world cup team, I think). Some advertising about these big matches and how to qualify for them from USAS would be really appreciated!