Rifle Cant and Spirit Levels

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

WJL

Rifle Cant and Spirit Levels

Post by WJL »

I have recently acquired a 1912 for my daughter and I am in the process of acquiring sights. While shooting standing, in both air and smallbore, my daughter cants the rifle inbound. I plan to purchase Anschutz 7020 sights for the 1912, which I believe are cant adjustable. I have checked both ISSF and USAS rules and the best I can tell, spirit levels are allowed for 50m smallbore. Can someone confirm that the levels are legal, and does anyone have experience with then and can offer a recommendation for a junior shooter ?

Second question, what range adjustable front aperture do you recommend for 50m smallbore (that I can hopefully use on 50 ft reduced size targets).

Thanks for the help.
#1texan

Post by #1texan »

Yes a level is legal in smallbore but not in air. As far as a recommendation you want one that the bubble is mounted on the outside of the front sight. Aperture size that depends on the length of your sight radius.
Hope this helps Nathan
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Spirit levels ARE legal in all ISSF 50 Meter smallbore events. They are also legal in 300 Meter prone and 300 meter 3P (not 300 meter standard rifle).
They are NOT legal in Air rifle.

There are 3 types of bubble that I am aware of:
Inside the sight
Outside the sight
On the rail

If your daughter is a new shooter, I would actually recommend not using one for awhile. It is just adding another factor that won't become apparent until fairly high ability levels are reached.

An aperture range between 3.6-4.5 is generally decent.
Matt
WJL

Post by WJL »

Thanks for the replies. She is an experienced air rifle shooter but new to smallbore. I have the same concerns with overloading her at this point. I think I will leave the level out until the cant in her position standing really becomes an issue with sight adjustments.

In terms of the aperture size, she shoots a 3.9 across the course for air. Will the range you recommended cover both 50 ft and 50 meters ? Looking at the Anschutz adjustable fronts, it appears their range is 1.8-4.3 or 2.8-4.8. I assume the 2.8-4.8 ?
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I personally use a ~4.2 in Air rifle. And currently I use a 4.0 in all 3 positions in smallbore. But I just bought an adjustable one, so that will probably change.
The black should appear to be the same size between 50ft and 50 M. So if lighting allows, it should be the same. But depending on the range, it will change. Like at the OTC the lighting makes the black appear bigger. Where as my home range is VERY bright, and makes the black look tiny.
Matt
GCSInc

Changing Aperture sizes

Post by GCSInc »

"she shoots a 3.9 across the course for air"

If she has been shooting for any length of time, she should be changing apertures to fit her hold.

Unless she has the exact same hold (wobble area) in all 3 positions.
supermatch

Re: Changing Aperture sizes

Post by supermatch »

GCSInc wrote:"she shoots a 3.9 across the course for air"

If she has been shooting for any length of time, she should be changing apertures to fit her hold.

Unless she has the exact same hold (wobble area) in all 3 positions.
What three positions are there in air rifle? :-)
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

In the USA, CMP 3-P Air (3x20 course) is very popular junior event. Used in High School JROTC programs primarily, but popular with other JR and 4-H clubs.
http://www.odcmp.com/3p.htm