Olympic 3P Course of Fire

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

matchguy

Olympic 3P Course of Fire

Post by matchguy »

First time I watched 3P. Thought what we'd see was 3 positions but we only saw offhand. They started with 600 possible points then did 10 more in OH.

What's the course of fire for Olympic & World Cup 3p? What did the 600 represent?

Thanks
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

In Womens it is a 3x20 event.
First the Qualifier:
20 shots in prone =200 possible
20 shots standing = 200
20 shots kneeling = 200

The the part that you saw is a 10 shot "FINAL" for the top 8 "qualifiers".
Final is scored in tenths of points ... max=109 (10x10.9) ... added to the qualifying round

Supposed to make the match more exciting for TV ... the qualifying round is not exciting enough for most of the world's population
Abi

Post by Abi »

we missed seeing about 2 hours worth of shooting by almost 50 competitors. Our Olympic coverage lacking we only were shown the "Final" which is shot afterwards...see here for the results before the final.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/shooting/eve ... index.html

The four people in 7th through 10th place all had the same qualifying score, so they had a shoot-out of 5 shots (possible of 10.9 for each of those shots, while in the qualifier the highest is only 10 points per shot). This was done to determine who was 7th and 8th, as the top 8 go to the finals.
NetNinja

I'll admit

Post by NetNinja »

I'll be the first to admit that watching a match is as exciting as watching paint dry.

NBC bid on the olympics to sell advertising space. (like any company would)
Also to try and dominate the rattings wars during prime time.

I remember when I was young all the major networks would broadcast the olympics 24x7 for 2 weeks and I hated it. When I got older I started to appreciate what the Olympics was all about. I watched sports that I would never watch or be exposed to if it weren't for the Olympics.

I don't remember when the Olympics turned into a pure for profit money generating venture for ONE television network but I can say that it sucks now.

They will only broadcast the sport which Americans are sure to win a medal. I would if I was them
They are going to broadcast what will draw the most audience.
You won't be exposed to Badminton, Ping Pong, Archery or Equestrion.
(Why would they allow a sport that you need to control an animal over Softball?)
They might as well include fox hunting.

Heaven forbid if they televised anything to do with firearms.

I don't remember which Olympics it was that Mat Emmons was shooting (The one where he shot another target on his last shot and lost out on getting a Gold)
but I remember seeing his rifle and screaming at myself because I held an Anschutz at a black powder rifle store that had dust on the shelves about 1 inch thick. I had held the rifle privously and didn't know what it was used for. I thought it was very cool but couldn't see myself even comming remotely close to buying it. After seeing Matt Emmons shoot I drove the very next day praying that the rifle was still there. It was an 1813 Super match that I bought for less than $800.00.

The world is such a connected place now that I know who won a gold medal before NBC will broadcast the event.

I can't really say that NBC has done such a poor job broadcasting the Olympics. They just chose to broadcast select events for maximum viewership.

The opening ceremonies were dreadful and the commentary was so horendous that I wanted to slap the crap out of the commentators.
During the parade of nations to have a commentator give us a run down and all the politics that each nation was going through or had in the past was classless and tasteless. To even mention Edi Amin when Uganda came marching out was totaly out of line.

I know politics is never far from the Olympics but it sure would be nice if everyone would stop what they were doing, take a break from life for 2 weeks and watch the best of the best compete for what they worked so hard for, for 4 years of thier lives.

I guess it's sometimes to much to ask.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

"They are going to broadcast what will draw the most audience.
You won't be exposed to Badminton, Ping Pong, Archery or Equestrion. "

Funny, I watched every one of these in the past few days on one or another of the NBC stations.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Hey netninja use the net to watch what you want. If you want to watch it with out US politics interjected into every thing pay a couple of buck get VPN service and watch it from any country you wish. I watch the British feed from the BBC.
WRL

Post by WRL »

I have seen lots of badmitten, equestrian, ping pong and archery. Also, lots of water polo, field hockey, soccer, judo, bicycling and lots of others in which Americans are not going to compete well

NBC reported the most viewed sport last week was archery.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

Richard H wrote:Hey netninja use the net to watch what you want. If you want to watch it with out US politics interjected into every thing pay a couple of buck get VPN service and watch it from any country you wish. I watch the British feed from the BBC.
Did they show the qualification rounds?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

No only finals. That said many of the finals at the start during warm ups showed little snippets of the qualification round. The qualification round is just too long. You can't move the camera down range and as much as I love shooting is like watching grass grow.
durant7

Post by durant7 »

Re what US viewers can see via cable TV and/or streaming video. Seems like most non USA folks have a fairly open program to watch whatever they want to watch on TV or via streaming video.

In the USA, some folks don't see to exasperated over NBC's tight distribution. If you happen to only purchase "basic" cable for $49/mo, you get zero streaming and can only watch what the big NBC network decided to show, with I might add 50% of the time filled with advertisements. If I see one more beach volleyball match I am going to scream. Worse, yesterday, when reviewing the medal count, only the gold poll vaulter and the 2nd place hurdle winner was mentioned for USA. They had the option to include Matt for Bronze.....

I gather if you pay for an upgraded or premium cable plan, you are allowed to stream specific events you are interested in. I am not willing to pay extra money to Comcast. That is what I think causes the disparity among USA viewers. I am close to dropping basic cable, it is junk.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Go get a VPN service. hide My Ass has a summer sports special on now so for about $10 for the month you can log into servers all over the world and watch whatever feeds you want, it removes the geo restriction cause it thinks your in that country.