Eyes adjusting to lighting?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Eyes adjusting to lighting?

Post by toddinjax »

I have a rudimentary understanding (or at least I accept the phenomena) of how different lighting conditions effect where you eye perceives the bull to be, thus requiring sight adjustments up or down. Can someone tell me how much time it takes for ones eye to fully adjust to different lighting? I'm not talking extremes of outside bright sunlight to indoor, but rather "typical" indoor room lighting moving in to a "range" in ones home. My guess would have been less than 5 minutes but lately I've had results than make me question if it in fact takes quite a bit longer. Thanks, todd.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Todd,
I would say that your eyes are adjusting just fine it is you that is taking time to settle in. If i'm reading between the lines correctly you are getting point of impact changes 5,10,15 minutes into shooting. From your previous posts about not having enough time to practice I'm betting that you are kinda hyped up when you start shooting and the longer you shoot the more relaxed you become and therefore your grip, followthru, triggering, everything is changing and therefor so is you POI. This is what sighters are for, get you relaxed and comfortable before you start shooting the match. If i'm wrong disregard everything I just said, Scott
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Thank you Scott, for a highly insightful response. Change the word "relaxed" in your 4th line down to "tired" and I'd think you've been spying on me! I really watched my front sight after my shots break and I'm letting it dip down just a bit, especially if I don't get the shot off in good time. Perhaps this is partially due to the nose heavy 46M but at least now I know what the real issue is. Many many thanks.