Desperate to get back into shooting....

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

fotomatt1

Desperate to get back into shooting....

Post by fotomatt1 »

Hi all. I was a competitive smallbore three position shooter in high school...getting close to 20 years ago. I still have my Anschutz 1907 in magnificent condition. I catch myself thinking about shooting now and then, and then after seeing some of the Olympic coverage on TV recently I've wanted to start shooting even more.

First, a couple of questions. Is my Anschutz 1907 still a rifle I should be using? I'm not sure what technological advances have been made in target rifles in the past 15 - 20 years. Perhaps it just needs a few upgrades?

My next (and much larger problem) is that I live in Manhattan. There is a definite lack of places to shoot, as well as a serious lack of understanding about the sport among my neighbors. Any advice for places to shoot or a way to get back into the sport?

Thanks in advance.
crankythunder

dear fotomat

Post by crankythunder »

While I am fortunate to live in an area that has multiple year round opportunities to shoot competitivly every week, the new multi thousand dollar super adjustable rifles are rare on the firing line. I shoot a winchester that is older then I am, and most of my teammates and competitors have rifles that are 20 or more years old. With that being said, I have only seen a couple of the new aluminum stocked rifles and while they are nice, they are not necessary to be competitive.

While I could swing a new rifle, I do not think it would add very many points to my score (if at all).

With that being said, I appreciate the look of the old walnut and blue steel topped with the 16 power unertl!

Wish I could help you finding a club to shoot at, but if you ever find yourself over here, we got a spot on the line for ya!
Regards,
Cranky
pfiori

Getting back to shooting

Post by pfiori »

Your 1907 is still as good as it was when you got it and will be fine to get you going again.
If you still have your other equipment and it still fits, you are in even better shape.
The NRA website has a listing of ranges and clubs by state,take a look there for what is near you.
The NRA also has a publication called Shooting Sports USA. In it,you will find listings for upcoming matches, Pick one out and go, nothing has changed.

Hope this is helpful
Pete
fotomatt1

Re: Getting back to shooting

Post by fotomatt1 »

pfiori wrote:Your 1907 is still as good as it was when you got it and will be fine to get you going again.
If you still have your other equipment and it still fits, you are in even better shape.
The NRA website has a listing of ranges and clubs by state,take a look there for what is near you.
The NRA also has a publication called Shooting Sports USA. In it,you will find listings for upcoming matches, Pick one out and go, nothing has changed.

Hope this is helpful
Pete
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to check out Shooting Sports USA. I have all my equipment, although my coat definitely doesn't fit....I'm about 30lbs heavier than high school! My Unertl spotting scope will probably look a bit out of date, but it still works! Can't wait to see if I still have a talent for the sport!