Am I too old for a beginner?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tig0r

Am I too old for a beginner?

Post by tig0r »

Hi all,

Came across the forum in my quest for beginner knowledge about 50m prone shooting.

So I am 30 and just got interested in shooting and believe me when I say I am a beginner; I have never owned or fired a firearm. I used to shoot an airgun when I was 15-16 and was decent at it. I am very competitive and if I get into it, I will look into becoming the best I possibly can be.

Am I too old to be thinking about taking shooting seriously?
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I'll tell you what I tell the parents of kids in the junior program I help instruct, when the parents ask if they can shoot, too:
"If you're still breathing, you're young enough."

Though I'm pretty sure if you require a ventilator to help you breath we can still work something out!
Last edited by mtncwru on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlabbe

Post by rlabbe »

We had a couple of people using walkers at my club. One guy was on oxygen. Ya, their scores were lower then most of the other shooters, but they brought their best with every shot. To me, that is "serious".
Peakconti

older shooter

Post by Peakconti »

My wife started shooting just two years ago, at age 40. She loves it, so no you are not to old. I stopped shooting in my late 20s and took up the sport again when I turned 41.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Define "seriously".

Here's the thing,
while it's quite possible to be competitive at an older age - just look at Harald Stenvaag (59) still making finals in World Championships, there is a problem...

Harald was 21 when he first shot as an International in 1974.

My experience (I came back to shooting at 35) is that it's absolutely possible to shoot for your country as part of a team - like for the Dewar or Pershing Match, or to be a National Champion at almost any age.

However,

it's much more difficult to get selected for ISSF International Individual competitions like the Olympics or World Championships as there seems to be a bias towards "youth development" intended to give younger shooters (with a longer potential career) experience of high level competition.

I would say that 30 isn't too late if you have talent, a good coach, a lot of training time and money.
You'll be up against shooters who will be 10 years younger than you and who have already been shooting for 8 years, and mature shooters who are at that level now. So you'll have to be exceptional and committed.

That's my perspective anyhow. Others may wish to correct me...

K.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Your just a yungun. One of our rifle club new members started this past year. He is 45 and just got back from Perry- the nationals His scores were 396/400, 1182/1200 ect. His Palma scores were 444/450 at 800, 900 and 1000 yds. He did have a marksman card, lol, not for long. Does that help. He got great coaching and good equipment and finally, he has tremendous drive and determination to practice and get better. That is what it takes.
Chris
Misny

Re: Am I too old for a beginner?

Post by Misny »

tig0r wrote:Hi all,

Came across the forum in my quest for beginner knowledge about 50m prone shooting.

So I am 30 and just got interested in shooting and believe me when I say I am a beginner; I have never owned or fired a firearm. I used to shoot an airgun when I was 15-16 and was decent at it. I am very competitive and if I get into it, I will look into becoming the best I possibly can be.

Am I too old to be thinking about taking shooting seriously?
You are not too old. After you have been at it for a while, you will find realistic goals. The goals will become more challenging as you progress. If you want to really be an Olympic and/or World champion, you will have to completely devote yourself to the sport and will need the staunch support of your family.
TPJones

Post by TPJones »

Ah, to be 30 again! No, you are not too old to begin, and continue, for many years.

I'm 64, and I consider myself a "serious" shooter. Am I competitive? Not so much, although I placed third in a 100 yard mini-palma last weekend, a personal best.

My club will be shooting another postal match against a club in Great Britain next month and I hope to better my last score.

Every time I get into position I concentrate on fundamentals and my only goal is to beat my last score. On occasion it has paid off. I am fortunate to have fallen in with a great bunch of shooters at the local club who have been very supportive. I encourage you to pursue your goal.
Bestshooter

Post by Bestshooter »

Im 33 and looking to get into it .. Don't feel bad . I have been shooting regular guns since I was about 6 so not really a beginner .. Just looking to start competing and challenging my life .....
crankythunder

hey tig:

Post by crankythunder »

Your never to old to start shooting!

realistically, your younger then most of the guys in my league were when they started shooting seriously. Get out to the range, practice, and start competing. You will find your fellow competitors are the best people on the face of the earth. Forgot your ammo? They will supply your ammo and laugh when you score better too!

Regards,
Cranky
RobB

Post by RobB »

I shot for just 18 months in the mid eighties and came back to shooting 3 months ago aged 45. Last week I shot a 98 (NSRA 25yd prone). Definately not too late! Definately get some coaching.
tig0r

Post by tig0r »

Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments. So then...I will stick around I guess and look forward to learning from you all and yes, will look to get some coaching.
ccshooter

Post by ccshooter »

Never too old to shoot!