Young guns with Old Guns

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

bored184

Young guns with Old Guns

Post by bored184 »

While cleaning my Anschutz I was thinking to myself about the history of the rifle and where it might of been prior to me. I was wondering this because the rifle is older then I am. I was born in 84 and the rifle is stamped 73. I have access to a 1813 and even a 2013 but currently I prefer shooting my older 1413. The rifle still shoots better then my abilities and I have no current interest in upgrading. I am curious if I am the only one out there who prefers shooting with a rifle or pistol older then them. It seems like most of my generation has to have the newest equipment and the best of the best. Am I the exception?

Bored184
SeanM

Post by SeanM »

Not sure if I'd say that I prefer it, but due to budget constraints my current setup is a Pardini k2 for 10m and a Toz-35 for 50m.

I love my Toz, but can't help but lust after the infinitely more adjustable rear sight on the Morini free pistol. To be able to adjust the width of the rear notch instead of having to cut new rear sights out of sheet metal.... that's the dream.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

I proudly shoot my winchester which is a couple decades older then I am. While I could easily afford one of the new uber adjustable aluminum stocked wonder rifles, I honestly prefer the look of old walnut, blue steel, and the ancient unertl scope. I do not think a new rifle will add many points to my score (if any at all).

Plus, those aluminum stocked rifles stick out on the firing line and attract a lot of attention too.

Regards,
Cranky
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

SeanM:

Have a look at this:

viewtopic.php?p=115342&highlight=#115342

I did this to my TOZ and it really makes a difference. I made an adapter in the shop so that the elevation would match the old blade, but there are other workarounds noted.

As far as shooting with irons older than I am, there isn't much call for black powder arms in bullseye or FP. However, I do have a S&W Model 41, first series, and a S&W Model 52-1 along with the TOZ 35M. Sometimes I worry about the 52 since they ain't makin' parts for that any more. Numrich has limited bits and pieces, mostly for the 52-2 and not all are interchangeable. If I bugger the barrel, it's a paperweight.

However, parts for the 41 are available and I think I can make or fake anything that breaks on the TOZ.

Roger
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

My 16 year old son shoots a Walther UIT from the late 60's or 70's for 3P and his prone gun is a Winchester model 52 D from the early 60's. The 52 is a tackdriver and I believe it is as accurate as any gun you can buy today at any price.
Chris
Dr. Jim

Older guns

Post by Dr. Jim »

I have three match pistols built on early 1911 frames, and a Chow 45 accurized in 1962, on a1943 manufactured US army 1911a1. Older doesn't mean less useful.
Three of my hunting rifles are built on Springfield '03 actions made well before I was even thought of, but one was a later LendLease action.

Dr. Jim
ralph4769

Post by ralph4769 »

I am proud to say that my long time winchester rifle which I inherited from my late father is still working good up to now. And I take care of it cause I value it.

Last edited by ralph4769 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
andrea

Post by andrea »

Wellllllll... my rifle of choice for the muzzleloading competitions is an originale Swiss Federal carbine model 1851 made in 1852 or 1853....

Andrea
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

andrea wrote: Wellllllll... my rifle of choice for the muzzleloading competitions is an originale Swiss Federal carbine model 1851 made in 1852 or 1853....
You mean the Eidgenössischer Stutzer? I remember it well. ;)

Well, it looks like that's trump. Could you post a pic?

Roger
Muffo as guest

Post by Muffo as guest »

I use a toz35 that would be more than double my age. It was one of the first 2 be brought to Australia. I have only ever heard of 1 currently being used with a lower serial number than mine
DesertShooter

Post by DesertShooter »

I shoot an old winchester 52 which weighs about 17 pounds. I'm only 20 and most of my competitors shoot the newer anschutz. That's not saying I wouldn't like having a new anschutz or even a walther though.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

BTW, according to listings posted on another thread in the Olympic Pistol forum, the TOZ 35 was shot by competitors finishing 6th and 8th at the Olympics. Although shooters with Morini CM84E's took places 1-5 and 7, it's obvious the TOZ can achieve competitive scores into international levels.

Roger
SeanM

Post by SeanM »

Haha yes yes I noticed :]

Had a feeling I might see a comment like that :P
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Well, Sean, save up your beer money, buy an adjustable Morini rear sight and mount it on your TOZ.

And if you still long for an Italian FP, just paint the forend red, white and green and call it a Tozzini Trentacinque.

Roger
j-team

Post by j-team »

RandomShotz wrote:Well, Sean, save up your beer money, buy an adjustable Morini rear sight and mount it on your TOZ.
Why? The Toz rearsight does everything it needs to do. Adjusts up and down, left and right. All without the need for a screw driver!