Hammerli 120 documentation question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BenEnglishTX

Hammerli 120 documentation question

Post by BenEnglishTX »

I'm working on the trigger of my Hammerli 120. The only documents I've been able to find are the two found at Pilkguns, the trigger adjustment cheatsheet in English at http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/sph120.htm and a PDF of the owner's manual at http://www.pilkguns.com/manuals/Haemmerli120.pdf . The latter document is in German.

Here's the problem: the two documents show two different trigger mechanisms. The basic designs and arrangements of the levers are the same but some construction details as well as certain adjustments are substantially different, e.g. the trigger stop is completely absent in the version I have.

Naturally, my pistol has the mechanism shown in the German document and I don't read German.

I've been laboriously re-typing the file into Google translate but I'm finding it very slow going. The word that I take to head up the section on trigger adjustments, for example, translates "delivery regulate". I guess that sorta makes sense but it's tough to read.

Can anyone point me to an English-language version of the Hammerli 120 factory owner's manual?

Barring that, a question: Is the trigger shoe on the mechanism shown in the owner's manual intended to move from side to side, pivoting on the end of the rod to which it is attached? I sincerely doubt that such is the case but I'm loath to super-glue the two parts into a fixed relationship with each other until I'm certain that's the correct thing to do.

TIA for any help or insights,

Ben in Texas
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just pull up a translation program off the web. No big deal.
BenEnglishTX

Eye of the beholder, I guess

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Rover wrote:Just pull up a translation program off the web. No big deal.
Thanks. I can do that, though if you take a look at the pdf I hardly think you'd call it "no big deal". It is, in this case, a real PITA prospect.

The PDF file in question is a set of scanned images and not editable text so it's impossible to cut and paste from that document to a translator. I could run it against an OCR program that would make lots of mistakes due to the complex formatting and less-than-perfect scan. I could then feed that text into a translator and get a literal translation of the error-plagued input, leaving me with a massive editing job before I'd have a usable document.

Yes, indeed, I could do all that. However, I've been down this road before in other contexts and I know from hard experience that it's well worth asking if anyone has the document in English before I start the process outlined above.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I purchased a couple of 120s in the 1970's. I will look around and see if I have an original manual.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Or learn some German - the rest of the planet learns English, too ;-)
BenEnglishTX

My brain has limits and I think I passed them a while back

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Tycho wrote:Or learn some German - the rest of the planet learns English, too ;-)
:-)

I'm in Texas. However excrable it may be, my Spanish is far more useful on a day-to-day basis. The couple of other languages I've attempted have been miserable failures.

Still, I have a sister who used to speak German and I grew up in a German-settled community in central Texas. The language isn't entirely foreign to me. One way or another, I'll muddle through.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

PaulB wrote:I will look around and see if I have an original manual.
Thanks. I'd really appreciate it; at this point, I think I only need clarifications in a few paragraphs.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I will look for my manual, but there was also an American Rifleman article, currently on sale on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-HAMMERLI-M ... 23147ac0a0

I will look through my old bound copies of A.R.
BenEnglishTX

Is it threadjacking if I do it to a conversation I started?

Post by BenEnglishTX »

PaulB wrote:I will look for my manual, but there was also an American Rifleman article, currently on sale on Ebay.
I'll pass on buying it but the business concept this represents is truly fascinating.

The seller is cutting two pages out of a magazine that's nearly 40 years old and selling them, all total, for a little over USD$10.

I'm not much of a pack rat but I know people who are and who probably have plenty of decades-old magazines. If it were possible to sell the major articles from each of them for approximately USD$5 per page, those people are sitting on gold mines.

:-)
BenEnglishTX

Resolved. Maybe I should post pics of the repairs?

Post by BenEnglishTX »

PaulB wrote:I will look around and see if I have an original manual.
Many thanks to Paul. He sent me PDFs that perfectly showed me where my pistol is broken and I now know how to fix it.

Thanks, again, to everyone for your help.

Ben
feinwerk

HAmmerli 120

Post by feinwerk »

If you or Paul coulr post the pdf, it would be very useful. rklantz@rockylab.com.