NBC Won't Be Showing All Smallbore

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

matchguy

NBC Won't Be Showing All Smallbore

Post by matchguy »

I've been watching the schedule for what smallbore NBC will be showing on-line. Before this week their schedule showed qualifying rounds and just about everything. Now they chopped it down to just the Gold medal rounds for all shooting events. So if the USA doesn't make it to the Gold Medal round, we don't get to see our shooters at the Olympics.

Looks like Archery is going to show everything.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Typically at recent Olympics, the only video taken during the qualification rounds is a fairly quick clip of the shooters on the firing line to provide:
a) background information if they make it to the Finals, and
b) available shots to be used by the individual national broadcasters (if the want to use it).
I doubt that there would be any proper coverage of qualification rounds available, even if your national broadcaster wanted to show it.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would imagine there will be more available on u-tube. I don't think it will be under the ISSF player due to broadcasting rights etc but it should be there non-the less. In the UK we have 24 extra TV channels set up specifically for the olympics, so I'm hopeful we'll get a bit more shooting than the BBC usually show.

Rob.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

RobStubbs wrote: In the UK we have 24 extra TV channels set up specifically for the olympics, so I'm hopeful we'll get a bit more shooting than the BBC usually show.

Rob.
Rob
Is that on the BBC red button? They are saying on the TV that they are covering every venue but I can't find any reference to shooting ? If it is I presume its every thing and live?

Just found it, if they are true to their word we will get everything live! The've even named the commentator as David Oates?

Robin
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

The BBC has the filming and broadcasting rights. They will be syndicating it around the world to various networks who then decide what they want to show.

for a full daily schedule and what will be shown click here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/201 ... sults/list

Click here for a guide on how to watch online or via tablet/mobile over 3g or if in the UK what is available where using red button/interactive services. If you have sat or cable services you should get 23 interactive channels (subject to your subscriptions status to your provider) if you have freeview tv then unlucky as you will get 1 maybe 2 extra feeds on the red button.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video

Click on the logo next to Gary Linakers face for a demo of the BBC's online player.

Its not a bad schedule considering the BBC has traditionally been very overt at showing any kind of shooting sport.

cheers
Remmy
Haireacane

Post by Haireacane »

I have signed up for streaming video through NBC here in the US. NBC states that each and every final will be live through the Internet. So I'll be up Saturday at 5:55am, east coast time, to watch the finals of women's air rifle.

I would like to ask a favor of our British members if they could post the videos on line. After the 2008 games someone put almost all of the finals on line and posted the link on this site. I do not think that NBC will allow for the downloads of any of their coverage.

Thanks,
David
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

Haireacane wrote:I have signed up for streaming video through NBC here in the US. NBC states that each and every final will be live through the Internet. So I'll be up Saturday at 5:55am, east coast time, to watch the finals of women's air rifle.

I would like to ask a favor of our British members if they could post the videos on line. After the 2008 games someone put almost all of the finals on line and posted the link on this site. I do not think that NBC will allow for the downloads of any of their coverage.

Thanks,
David
not sure if bbc iplayer is region specific but you can get everything you need there for free.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

remmy223 wrote: not sure if bbc iplayer is region specific but you can get everything you need there for free.
Pretty sure it doesn't work abroad. You might be able get around via a proxy server but I never managed it.

Rob.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

Think you guys missed the point of my post.

Last week they had the on-line schedule posted and it included almost all of it, not just the gold medal rounds. It even had links to be reminded when those events were on to view. It appears now after the horrible events of Colorado, they cut down the schedule to just gold medal rounds while the Archery events show the rounds leading up to the medal rounds.

The Archery will be showing 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, quarter elimination rounds as well as semi and final rounds so it seems NBC had a change of heart for the shooting events.

Don't know if the World Cup is similar to the Olympic event but their prone final is only 20 min. So if you want to see your country's shooter and he/she doesn't make it to the final, you don't ever get to see them. Not what NBC has been promising watching their schedule for the past few weeks.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

matchguy wrote: Don't know if the World Cup is similar to the Olympic event but their prone final is only 20 min. So if you want to see your country's shooter and he/she doesn't make it to the final, you don't ever get to see them. Not what NBC has been promising watching their schedule for the past few weeks.
They are identical. I think looking at our schedule on the BBC, only finals will be screened. To be fair though watching most shooting events live isn't going to be overly exciting, especially to a non shooter. The finals is just the 10 shots and the format is now tension building and easy for spectators to follow and feel the excitement building.

Rob.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

I've just found that I have the 24 channels, they sneaked them on with out me knowing, Doh!!!!

Rob
In the BBC blub it says everything live from all venues, but on the schedules it shows the qualifications with in brackets no video, as its all going to be shown live, I read that as for us in the UK with the BBC channels we could see the qualifications live but they will not record it for us to go back and see the video as we will be able to for the finals.
Its a bit ambiguous but it could mean as I had read it, or that they are just screening the finals.
I suspect that our colonial friends will only get the video of the finals regardless.
Robin
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

RobinC wrote:I've just found that I have the 24 channels, they sneaked them on with out me knowing, Doh!!!!

Rob
In the BBC blub it says everything live from all venues, but on the schedules it shows the qualifications with in brackets no video, as its all going to be shown live, I read that as for us in the UK with the BBC channels we could see the qualifications live but they will not record it for us to go back and see the video as we will be able to for the finals.
Its a bit ambiguous but it could mean as I had read it, or that they are just screening the finals.
I suspect that our colonial friends will only get the video of the finals regardless.
Robin
OK maybe I was missreading it then - I assumed where it said no video it meant no footage at all. Not sure though I'll be watching all the events in their entirety though ;)

Rob.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

With today's technology there is NO reason every minute could not be played/streamed and recorded for future viewing for ever second of every event. If a house full of college girls can rig up a set of video cams to let people watch them eat breakfast and sleep, I would like to think the fricking Olympics and the ISSF and the NRA and any other group could pull it off!

Will they be showing the Sync Swimmer chicks in their entirety? I already know they will show ever foot race, swimming event and gymnastics event. Snore.

If it is NBC we are left to depend on in the US I am not holding out much for coverage from them. I bet if they were the Olympic Board shooting would be gone in 2016.

Bo
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

RobStubbs wrote:
OK maybe I was missreading it then - I assumed where it said no video it meant no footage at all. Not sure though I'll be watching all the events in their entirety though ;)

Rob.
Sadly Rob I think you read it right, they now only list the finals on the on page guide, page 10, Ladies air rifle at 10.55 on Saturday, and another short slot in the afternoon for the mens air pistol.
On this mornings BBC radio they had the man who is responsible for it all and he said categorically that we will be able to watch from 9 in the morning to 6 at night for every sport, he said if you want to watch Greco-Roman wrestling all day you can! But obviously not the dastardly evil sport of shooting.
Robin