Dots on MP90's

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

mr alexander

Dots on MP90's

Post by mr alexander »

Looking at a .22 caliber Benelli MP90 World Cup for B.E. leagues. Saw a photo of 1 recently; as best as I could tell, it looks like some sort of a grooved rail is machined on top of the pistol. Is this an 11mm or a 13 mm groove? I saw a Benelli mount made by Larry's on his website, but it weighs 6 oz! I am thinking of just mounting an Ultradot using rings that would attach directly to the rail, but did not see any like this available from Larry's. Anyone know a source for them? How did you MP90 shooters attach a dot sight to your pistol? Any ejection issues crop up after mounting a dot? Would appreciate your comments/experiences.
Barry G

Post by Barry G »

I have Larrys mount on my 90 but had to open up the ejection cut for reliable ejection. The 6 ounces can be felt but it certainly reduces any tendency for flip shots being that the weight is felt up front. I would also check before buying a new 90 as one of our shooters got one recently that had no grooves and was forced to get Larrys mount. A number of our league shooters do use mounts & rings as you want to do and have more reliable ejection with a medium to high size. Not sure where they got them. Larry should know, he has the monopoly.
landshark

Re: Dots on MP90's

Post by landshark »

I don't know about the new ones, but If it has a rail the aimpoint micros work pretty well on a Benelli.

They mount on the weaver base which is forward enough so as to not interfere with ejection, or take down.

The R1 (discontinued), H1 and T1 are all basically the same device. You can pick them up off ebay pretty highly discounted. Probably not much cost difference between them and Larry's mount with an ultradot, and you never have to worry about batteries with the aimpoint.

I think you may have to modify the screw on the R1 to get it to attach firmly to a weaver rail, but it may be OK on the Benelli.

I've got an H1 on a MP95e Atlanta, and so far its worked out fine.

I had an ultradot on it for a while that extended over the breech, and it would get hit pretty frequently with ejected shells. I didn't have a problem with it, but I guess there's the possibility one might bounce back in and cause an alibi.

You'll like the Benelli, they're simple, accurate, and reliable, and have a good trigger. Not sure about the 90 but the with the 95 you can putty the grip into whatever you want it to be, and change the grip angle.
mr alexander

Dots on MP90S

Post by mr alexander »

Barry G,

Thanks for your reply. In it, you mentioned a shooter who got a new MP90 that came without the grooves on top of the pistol and was forced to use a Larry's mount for attaching a dot sight. Is it possible for you or another shooter to post a pic of a new, "grooveless" Benelli? Or, having seen it, I was wondering if you could tell me if the top surface of the pistol is just machined flat? Also, just how thick is this "grooveless" area on the MP90? Perhaps a few holes could be drilled and tapped here, thus allowing a flat piece of Weaver scope base to be attached. This would make it a snap to then mount an Ultradot sight. Nothing against the Larry's mount, but I don't know if I want an extra 6 ounces of weight added to my gun. It's always an option down the road, however. Merry Christmas to all of you who visit Target Talk!
Barry G

Post by Barry G »

Sorry, can't help with pics, am not computer savvy. Don't know how the top is configured, he put mount on before I saw it. I would just call Larry and ask. Perhaps my guy just got an oddball. Drilling & tapping might void the warranty. I would ask about that too. Good luck. Barry.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

The earlier models don't have the grooves for a scope but I don't know the date when the change was made. It has been awhile. With a later model you can use any mounts made for airguns because the width of the rails are the same. It is better to use high mounts so the empties can make it out without alibis. If you get a set of airgun mounts be aware that they have a habit of using a metric allen wrench size for the scope screws and inch size for the mount. It is easy to mess up the soft screws if you don't pay attention. -- Bill --
22eley

Re: Dots on MP90's

Post by 22eley »

mr alexander wrote:Looking at a .22 caliber Benelli MP90 World Cup for B.E. leagues. Saw a photo of 1 recently; as best as I could tell, it looks like some sort of a grooved rail is machined on top of the pistol. Is this an 11mm or a 13 mm groove? I saw a Benelli mount made by Larry's on his website, but it weighs 6 oz! I am thinking of just mounting an Ultradot using rings that would attach directly to the rail, but did not see any like this available from Larry's. Anyone know a source for them? How did you MP90 shooters attach a dot sight to your pistol? Any ejection issues crop up after mounting a dot? Would appreciate your comments/experiences.
ATT NONE of the Brand new stock USA MPs have a rail, Now he will be albe to sell MORE mounts and the Pistol too. last i knew Larry had a 32 Chrome with a Rail left over. john
Last edited by 22eley on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I have a MP95e with the grooves on the receiver.
It takes the air rifle rings, available in one inch and 30mm.
They are cheap and work well.
When I bought my ultradot from Larry's, I had him swap out the standard weaver size base for the Benelli pistol groove.
By the way, the larger groove at the front of the receiver takes the
Aimpoint micro dot scope. Just places it too far foward for me.
Marty G.
gusso

Post by gusso »

First post here! I just got my MP90S from LGI about 6 weeks ago. It does not have the grooves for a mount. Thus far, I've been using Larry's Ultimate mount and it has worked fine (no stovepipes) but it does add a considerable amount of weight.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

The first Benelli's with out the scope grooves came out just before Camp Perry last year. I wounder if Larry had anything to do with it? One way to sell custom mounts.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

It does seem strange that at first they had no scope grooves, then they did and now they don't. Why they went with the narrow grooves seemed strange to me too. -- Bill --
22eley

Someone droped the soap!

Post by 22eley »

Trooperjake wrote:The first Benelli's with out the scope grooves came out just before Camp Perry last year. I wounder if Larry had anything to do with it? One way to sell custom mounts.
LETS see if he orders the guns WHITHOUT the groves he gets them cheaper and now gets to sell YOU a HIGH $ mount! and the gun!. the over seas web sight shows the guns there still have the grooves. i think Larry is sliping up behind us! OUCH. 22eley
Last edited by 22eley on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
gusso

Post by gusso »

I've had the benelli mp90s with Larry's mount for about 2 months now. I'm really getting used to the added weight and I'm quite comfortable with it now. That being said, I would have liked the option of the factory grooves to check out other options, but it is what it is. I have fired at least 3000 rounds so far with zero stovepipes. If there was an issue with Larry's mount in the past, it seems to be ironed out by now. I'm very happy with the pistol and mount.
jimpetrie

Larry's Mount

Post by jimpetrie »

Does anyone know if Larry's Ultimate Mount will also fit on the older model Benelli MP-90/95's that have the rail? I currently am using a small TruGlo (Doctor style) sight mounted on the factory rail just forward of the ejection port. It does not interfere with ejection and has worked out great. I'm interested, however, in trying out Larry's mount so I can play around with using a Matchdot sight, and be able to vary the mounting location. I love my Benelli and would highly recommend them to anyone. Mine is an MP-95E with a Neal adjustable LH target grip.
gusso

Post by gusso »

Yes, the mount will fit on the railed model. But to be 100% sure, send Larry's shop an email.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

gusso wrote:Yes, the mount will fit on the railed model. But to be 100% sure, send Larry's shop an email.
no need, it fits i just sold him one.
gusso

Re: Larry's Mount

Post by gusso »

jimpetrie wrote:Does anyone know if Larry's Ultimate Mount will also fit on the older model Benelli MP-90/95's that have the rail? I currently am using a small TruGlo (Doctor style) sight mounted on the factory rail just forward of the ejection port. It does not interfere with ejection and has worked out great. I'm interested, however, in trying out Larry's mount so I can play around with using a Matchdot sight, and be able to vary the mounting location. I love my Benelli and would highly recommend them to anyone. Mine is an MP-95E with a Neal adjustable LH target grip.
BTW, I absolutely love my Benelli as well (MP 90s). At first I found Larry's mount a bit heavy, but it now feels perfect -- I love it! I use an Ultradot Matchdot on it with good results. Best of luck with your mount.