Pad Under Elbow on Mat - Legal?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

matchguy

Pad Under Elbow on Mat - Legal?

Post by matchguy »

Hello,

A guy at one of our matches was using a Sinclair gel pad under his elbow in prone. It was a square pad that he laid on top of his shooting mat, not something he put on his elbow under his shooting coat.

I had heard once before that was illegal but don't see anything specific in the rule books for Smallbore or Highpower. Also checked the CMP rule books and don't see any mention there.

Is putting a pad down on top your shooting mat legal in Smallbore, Highpower or CMP matches?

Thanks
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

CMP Rules - 3-P Air - 8th ed V2 - July 2011:
4.7.5 Shooting Mat
One ground cloth or mat of compressible material, with a maximum thickness of 5cm (2 in.), can be used for prone and kneeling positions, provided it is not constructed or used to provide artificial support. A folded mat may be placed under a shooter’s position provided the thickness of any folded portion of the mat does not exceed 5cm (2 in.). Additional pads may not be used with shooting mats, whether the mats are provided by competitors or provided by the range for all competitors. Placement of the mat must not interfere with other competitors. Note: The rule permitting the use of a ground cloth in standing was deleted in the 2010-2012 rulebook.
This is in the addendum that can be found on the 3-P rules page

In NRA Air Rules state One (1) mat ... the elbow mat would make 2.

NRA SBR rules state that an elbow pad may be WORN.
emphasis mine

In USAS competitions a smaller elbow mat would not be legal, even though 2 mats are allowed ... there is a minimum dimension of the mats of 80cmx200cm. (Rule 6.3.12.2.2 ... however if the match supplies mats, you must use what they have.)
plink182

Post by plink182 »

Darn, I have bone chips in my elbow and knees. I also bought the Sinclair sicon gell pads assuming they would be legal in NRA. So if I slip them in my NRA jacket they are legan then? Service rifle and small bore?
PCU

Post by PCU »

In USAS sanctioned competition, the use of a private mat is authorized if it meets the specs (6,3.12.2.2A).
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Plink - does your mat have a zipper for the pad? If it does, I THINK you can use multiple inserts in the mat if you meet the thickness requirement for NRA sanctioned events.
plink182

Post by plink182 »

No, have not seen one with with that feature. May have to look at adding that to the one I have?

OH..
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

...IO!

For reference, here is the link to the Kurt Thune mat for inspiration ;)

http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/ku ... p-439.html