Air Rifle for small bore practice

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

plink182

Air Rifle for small bore practice

Post by plink182 »

I was looking at the Crosman Challenger to use for small bore practice. Is there somthing better around the same price of $550 with sights and PCP? Anyone have any experience with them? How is their trigger?
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Have you ever shot the Challenger? I have and IMO if you really want a fine shooting rifle you don't want the Challenger. Are you already setup for PCP and have your heart set on that type of rifle?

Having been through many rifles and shot many others I think it best to just tell people to save a little longer and get a nice rifle that will make you happy. Or if money is already being stretched for around $550 look into a FWB300 or a 60x Series or a Walther LGR etc. These rifles all have the trigger you seek and the accuracy you can get from them is still superb today.

Honestly there is no comparison to the real deal and it is worth the extra money. Go used and you will find some good deals just have your $$$ ready to jump. That Steyr LG1 PCP for $1100 in the marketplace is a fine rifle, I had the SSP version of it myself. Or perhaps a Anschutz 2002CA around $1000 can be found.

Cry once and get something you will shoot. It is like night and day holding a real 10m rifle from a Crosman.

Bo
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

I have a Challenger and it is an incredibly accurate. It will shoot a near one pellet size group all day long. It is far, far more accurate than a FWB 300.

There are two drawbacks with the rifle. The trigger is not great. But you can adjust down to be a pretty light double or single stage trigger. The biggest problem though is the stock, as it is a sporter stock.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the action though. If there were a way to drop it in a precision rifle stock, I believe you would have a fine rifle.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Oh they are accurate for sure and have good barrels. The trigger leaves a LOT to be desired but they can be tweaked to make them a bit better. The main problem is that stock as you mention. I am not sure what the deal is with Crosman but I would swear that no one ever shouldered some of their offerings with the stocks they use. I'm sure they fit somebody, just no one I know from this planet lol. As for being better than a FWB if you think so that is all that matters.

Bo
clamdigger

Crossman air rifle

Post by clamdigger »

I tried a Crossman air rifle at the CMP North air rifle range and that trigger is awful. I would not buy one.
luftskytter

Post by luftskytter »

I guess the question is whether you intend to compete with a smallbore and should be practicing with an air rifle that has a similar "feel".
Then you'll need a "full size" thing, and the closest would be an old second hand match rifle like som have already mentioned.
CO2 is an interesting option with some very nice old guns to be found from the wellknown brands.

Or are you just looking for a cheap air rifle for target practice?
Then there are lots of options with good accuracy.
One example would be AA/CZ 200, preferably the target model, or one of the better models from BSA, FX etc. Make sure of being able to mount the sights you want to use.

Such rifles are a lot cheaper than "real" match air rifles.
They feel a little "smaller" and lighter than the "pro" models, but in my opinion they are nicer to shoot than most of the "Crosman" family which includes Discovery, QB78/79 and their derivatives.
plink182

Post by plink182 »

I am already set up for PCP for my LP-50 and my Crosman AR upper. I want somthing that is similar to the feel of my Anschutz 1903. I do not want to cock anything because it takes me out of my position in prone etc. The stock shape looks similar to the Crosman so I assume the sling setup would be similar but I have not compared them side by side.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

CZ200 is a good choice in the budget. I guess twice that would be the Anschutz 2002CA. The 2002 would be really close to the 1903.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Check out this deal... Anschutz 2002CA for $650... Of course it is long gone already but it just gives you an idea of what you might find posted or locate in a WTB ad for a true 10m rifle. I would have bought this rifle if I saw it in time and I have a 8002 S2 already!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/th ... +10m+rifle

Look at that rifle and then look at the Challenger. There is no competition between the two for a real deal all the way around rifle.

Bo
tailslid1

Anschutz 2002

Post by tailslid1 »

I thought it was a good deal on the Anschutz 2002. Thats why I bought it. I had been looking for practice rifle too.

Rick
Bowman26

Re: Anschutz 2002

Post by Bowman26 »

tailslid1 wrote:I thought it was a good deal on the Anschutz 2002. Thats why I bought it. I had been looking for practice rifle too.

Rick
You got a good deal. They are out there to be had for sure. As mentioned above just have your $$$$ in hand and be ready to jump lol.

Bo
plink182

Post by plink182 »

Attending pistol week at Camp Perry this week and went ahead and picked up the Challenger, triger is much better than I antcipated and veryu accurate. I will also need a rifle for my nephews to play with so nothing lost if I deciide to upgrade. Fit is good, needs some forward weight to give it better balance to match the Anschutz but well worth the $500 I picked it up for in a package deal. Almost went for a used 2002 for $1200 but opted for the Crosman for budget reasons.