Doubt with Steyr LP2 barrel weight mounting

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
narayanan

Post by narayanan »

Normally with every barrel weight a screw goes through the barrel weight & tightens up against the barrel. But with the the 25g barrel weight of the LP2, The screw doesn't come into contact with the barrel at all. So how is this barrel weight able to stay in a constant position and not fall off ? Could some one please clear my doubt with a detailed explanation ?
Attachments
Steyr LP2
Steyr LP2
Steyr LP2 with barrel weight.jpg (42.7 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
Barrel weight
Barrel weight
25 g barrel weight.jpg (11.25 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
LP2 Barrel weight 25 g
LP2 Barrel weight 25 g
LP2 barrel weight 25g.png (15.11 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
taz

Post by taz »

It looks like the screw pushes on the other side of the barrel weight essentially bending the thin part in the middle so the lower part of the weight clamps the barrel.
I hope this makes sense.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Taz is spot on, the screw flexes the weight so it pinches onto the barrel, it works well and is no problem.
Good Shooting
Robin
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

taz wrote:It looks like the screw pushes on the other side of the barrel weight essentially bending the thin part in the middle so the lower part of the weight clamps the barrel.
I hope this makes sense.
I think that's exactly right. It certainly works fine and clamps securely as my wife has the LP2 and if I shoot it I add the weight on.

Rob.
narayanan

Lp2 barrel weight mounting

Post by narayanan »

Thank you all for clearing my doubt. Can this be used on Morini air pistols like the CM 162EI & MI.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It would only work if the barrel diameters are extremely close to the same. The odds of that are a bit limited, but it's possible.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Gwhite wrote:It would only work if the barrel diameters are extremely close to the same. The odds of that are a bit limited, but it's possible.
Whether or not the theoretical chances are limited, it works in practice.
Can this be used on Morini air pistols like the CM 162EI & MI.
I'm pretty certain barrel dimensions are different so almost certainly not.

Rob.
narayanan

Post by narayanan »

Has any one ever tried mounting the 25 g weight of the lp2 to the Morini Cm 162EI or MI ?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Nope, seems to be your chance to be first.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The barrels aren't vastly different in size, if the weight is too small to fit on the 162 barrel just file some out, if the weight is too big to fit tightly use some shim material.

If your interested in trying it you should get one, I really think it could be made to work.

That said if you have some rudimentary tools you could probably make one out fo bar stock. You'd need a drill press, a drill slightly bigger that your barrel, a small drill, a tap, a set screw and a saw (hacksaw would even work) to put groove in. Then you could make them any weight you wanted.