Need help choosing a good 10M PCP Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bzizzi373

Post by bzizzi373 »

Got the bug to get a HQ PCP Pistol, FWB P44, Steyr LP2, Morini, you get the picture. Have range set up in basement but only shootinc Crosman 2240.
I want a really good pistol !! I did find a used Steyr LP1 for $1400 and a FWB P44 for $1500, thoughts ?? Can get a new LP2 for $1650......
narayanan

Post by narayanan »

I would recommend buying a brand new Steyr LP10 OR LP10E. Don't ever buy used weapons. Shooting is a sport that requires at least 97/100. If you are really serious about this sport, buy a new weapon. The advantages of the Steyr are -

1) Adjustable grip for both LP10 & Lp10E
2) Easy to change battery for LP10E when compared to Morini CM 162EI (you need to remove the electronics from the grip to change battery)
3) sight length adjustable.
4) Easy to add weights. You don't have to remove compensator or muzzle brake.

Only one disadvantage - You need to feed the pellet directly into the barrel,
which is not the case for the LP2, FWB P44 & Morini CM162 EI & MI.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I would recommend reading up the last five years of EXACTLY THIS KIND OF THREAD here in Targettalk, instead of spamming the forum and letting other people do your work...
john_almighty

Post by john_almighty »

When I was choosing my first pistol, I looked at it in 2 ways. It goes without saying that try as many as you can before you buy but what to try is always a question. I split the pistols in 1) muzzle heavy and 2)cg more closer to trigger heavy pistols. Chances are you will like either of them and not both. once you know what you like, then try as many as you can in that category. I classify LP10 as muzzle heavy and LP2 compact as more closer to trigger heavy. I settled for a Walther CPM-1 as I find i shoot much better with pistols which are heavier towards the trigger and not muzzle. it is easier to make a pistol muzzle heavy using weights but not other way around. again like many said, try as many as you can I would try the foll: LP10, Morini, LP2, Matchgun. grip and trigger roll is next important once you like the feel of a certain type of pistol.
bzizzi373

Post by bzizzi373 »

Thank you all for the replies, my only problem is where to try them, Where I live there are no dealers.
Might just end up with the Steyr

Except for you Tycho, keep your stupid comments to yourself
that is what this forum is all about.
wattsnot

Post by wattsnot »

Good for you bzizzi373
That guy has some mental issues. This is not spamming.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Tycho is one of the sharper knives in THIS drawer. His advice was dead on.
bzizzi373

Post by bzizzi373 »

Two people with mental issues ! Any more want to chime in with non helpful smart comments ?
Can't be that sharp, doesn't even know what spamming is !
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

OK, let me try to put it politely: This topic has been covered again & again for years. There is a lot of really useful information that you can find by using the search feature. If you read through some of the past threads, you can learn a lot. Then, if you need to, you can ask some more specific questions.
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

Recommend ignoring Tycho given your interest in a new or newer model air pistol.

Granted, if you were looking for a used older model - then yes - reviewing older threads is certainly relevant and Tycho is correct. However, air pistol (AP) manufacturers clearly have come out with quite a few new and interesting models quite recently - especially electronic trigger variants - and a 5 year old review of the best AP that was only available with a mechanical trigger may longer be relevant.

With than in mind, I suspect that some of us are curious to hear the LATEST opinions on the newer air pistols with electronic triggers and whether (or not) they are worth the price premium to the 'basement' shooter (LP10 vs. LP10E).
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

IMHO Tycho, Rover and Gwhite have got it right.

Using the search function will bring you many posts from the last year. The information and advice will not have changed.

With regard to the spamming comment, that might have been because you started the same topic in 2 different areas of the forum.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

bzizzi373 wrote:Thank you all for the replies, my only problem is where to try them, Where I live there are no dealers.
Might just end up with the Steyr.
Unfortunately, if you buy a pistol purely based on the opinions of others then you need to be prepared for disappointment.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

There is no "one" pistol that suits everyone, that is why all of the major manufacturers are in business as competition between manufacturers is important.
If you have total confidence in the pistol that you buy and you are prepared to put in the dedicated time to train and learn the way that the pistol reacts to you, then you should be able to shoot quite well. However this is quite a lengthy learning process.
There are several brands and models that are currently very popular, but it really should be your own personal choice as to what feels right when you pick up the pistol.
Are there no clubs anywhere near you that you might possibly get the chance to try other makes of pistol?
Some shooters like the electronic types of trigger and others prefer the very good mechanical ones, again its down to personal choice and preference.
All of the top grade competition pistols will shoot exceedingly well, if you have the confidence and ability to create the perfect shot every time.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

Only way is to try for yourself. An interesting thing that happened last month. A new shooter posted an ad to buy a used LP10 in a local gree shooting page. i asked him why Lp10? he said that was this what everyone suggested to him. I ofered him the chance to try my collection (LP10,162E,LP300,IZH-46, FWB C55) his choices were first the 162E then the walther and then the LP10. My point is that unless you try them all you dont know what will suit you best.
taz

Post by taz »

In my opinion choose the pistol that feels best.
Only there are 2 problems with that.
1. Trying all the available pistols is not easy especially as you need to try the correct grip size and even then you will need to modify it.
2. What feels best now will not be necessarily what feels best after you gain some experience.

What I would do. Buy the best pistol in your opinion. It does not matter which one it is. Just choose one of the pistols that appear in the WC finals. That way you will know that at least the pistol is capable of taking you there. The rest is up to you.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Don't know where you're located but if that $1400 is for an LP1 is in North America that's about 40% too much. Considering I've set at least 3 people up with LP1's for under $1000. Then again if you used the search function you'd have a better idea what they are worth.
andrea

Post by andrea »

My (limited) personal experience is that you "stumble" in your pistol and it's a process of mutual adaptation.
You tune the pistol to your requirements and in the meantime you learn to get the most from it.

This way the decision is driven (again IMHO) by some factors:
1. Funds...
2. MTBF
3. Availability of spares
4. Personal irrational feelings... For instance I'd prefer a Pardini over any other airgun just because I live lose to the factory....

YMMV

Andrea
bzizzi373

Post by bzizzi373 »

I am new to the sport of ten meter PCP pistols.
I do not live near any clubs or do I know anyone
who owns or shoots these types of firearms.
This is why I am asking questions about various
types and brands. I have read through tons of threads
for hours and it can leave one even more confused at times.
I do appreciate the informative comments that will help
me narrow down my search to find the pistol that suites
me best. I can tell you that from sifting through posts and
reading replies from this thread that I am more educated
about each brand than I was a week ago.
For those that replied in a dignified manner, I thank you
for your help. For others that like to make smart negative
comments, you need to go shoot your guns and get a life.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The thing I enjoy about being a "smartass" is that everyone knows what to call me.

I'm going to give you some good advice on your air pistol purchase. Take it or leave it.

There is no way that a guy who (probably) has never shot a match in competition needs an air pistol that costs $2-3 thousand dollars with accessories (or even half that). Toy? OK... Need? No way!

Buy yourself a used IZH 46M or FWB 65 and a case of RWS Basic pellets. When your scores (in competition) are nudging AA or Master class, you may want to consider something more upscale. By then you'll have a better idea of what you need and will have had a chance to examine what the other competitors are using.

Tycho may agree with me (or not).

BTW Tycho, Ich liebte die Fasnacht in Basel. Bier und schnapps fur alles! Ich hatte viele gute Freunde in der Querpfeife und Trommel-Cliquen.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

bzizzi373: Now that you've done some homework, you should hopefully understand why there is no easy answer to your question. If you about to spend one or two kilobucks on a new pistol, I strongly suggest you try to find the nearest hotbed of air pistol activity. It would be worth a trip to a local match to see if you can actually at least hold one or two.

The ideal situation would be to find an active Club where you could catch a local match. They will be low key, and folks will be more likely to have the time to talk to you and show off their pistols. I'd recommend arriving after the match starts, so as not to distract folks when they are trying to get ready to shoot. Afterward, they will be relaxed & a lot more chatty.

I believe the USA Shooting web site has a list of sanctioned matches that you could search for one near you. Be warned, with warmer weather, a lot of Clubs will be shooting other disciplines, and saving AP for when the weather is worse. However, there are still opportunities. As an example, in Massachusetts, the State Olympics Air Pistol match is this weekend.