Toes in or out?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Toes in or out?

Post by toddinjax »

I've been reading info on stance (from several different sources -books and online) and I'm a bit bewildered by the contrary advice of "point your toes slightly inward" to lightly tense leg muscle for balance vs. "point toes slightly outward" to minimize sway. What gives?
trinity

Post by trinity »

It depending on if you are falling (swaying) forward, or falling backward.

If you are falling forward (towards your toe), then point your toe together (inward).

If you are falling backwards (towards your butt), then point your toes apart a little.

-trinity
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Thank you Trinity, much appreciated.
RN Hawkins

Post by RN Hawkins »

For most people, toes are natually pointed out. The concept of pointing them in when you are falling backwards, defeats the idea of keeping your center of gravity between your base of support. If you are falling backwards, your center of gravity must be outside of the box created by your feet. Most people above the age of one can stand without falling. Shooters should be no exception.

I would suggest that you keep your toes natually pointed in the direction that is normal and comfortable. This should allow you to maintain minimal muscle activity in your legs. In principle, the less muscular activity, the less muscular tremors.
Russ

Post by Russ »

RN Hawkins wrote:For most people, toes are natually pointed out. The concept of pointing them in when you are falling backwards, defeats the idea of keeping your center of gravity between your base of support. If you are falling backwards, your center of gravity must be outside of the box created by your feet. Most people above the age of one can stand without falling. Shooters should be no exception.

I would suggest that you keep your toes natually pointed in the direction that is normal and comfortable. This should allow you to maintain minimal muscle activity in your legs. In principle, the less muscular activity, the less muscular tremors.
It is great answer, RN Hawkins!
The next question is what to do with those differnent sources? ;)
"from several different sources -books and online)"
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

RN Hawkins wrote: I would suggest that you keep your toes natually pointed in the direction that is normal and comfortable. This should allow you to maintain minimal muscle activity in your legs. In principle, the less muscular activity, the less muscular tremors.
I tend to agree. Rifle shooters use the foot direction to fine tune position (especially in kneeling) but the mechanics of those positions are a lot different than ours for pistol. I would suggest you could try moving the feet inwards very slightly and see what it does, but anything other than a very slight change will likely cause leg and/or back pain as strain muscles and tendons. The key starting point is a comfortable position.

Rob.
Pyroman

Post by Pyroman »

I've been experimenting for the last while with keeping my feet parallel. Points pointed neither in nor out. I bend my knees a little and feel pretty stable in this position. Am I a weirdo for a adopting a parallel-feet stance?
Rover

Post by Rover »

No, but you are for keeping your knees bent.