Various Scatt questions

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

taz

Various Scatt questions

Post by taz »

I just received my Scatt USB.
I have already read Scott Shaffer's manual which is very helpful and have also searched the forum which really helped a lot. Yet I still have a few questions some of you might have the answers.

1. Scatt measures the distance from the front of the sensor to the target. When we are shooting 10m air pistol the distance is measure from a line our feet should not cross therefore the distance from the front of the muzzle (or sensor) is less than 10m.
When I want to use the scatt at home what target should I print? Should I just read the distance scatt is reporting or add something to it? The former does not seem right because with that reasoning when I use the scatt at the range I would have to print a scaled down target to 9.3m approx. Does the scatt automatically add eg 0.7m that corresponds to the average distance of the front of the pistol to the front of the foot?

2. Does it matter where I put the sensor on the pistol? I prefer to have it as close to the grip as possible in order to avoid having to remove the weights I have on my pistol. If I put it right at the end of the muzzle then the pistol becomes too front heavy and is very difficult to hold. The only thing I am afraid is that if I put it further back then the speed graph might not be correct (not so sure about that).

3. Scott Shaffer's manual recommends an F-coefficient value of 26+-10 for 10m air pistol. I have yet to fire live on the scatt but this seems a little high to me. Lowering the value to 10 or less gives shots close to where I call them. Does this sound right to you?

Thanks and I will probably add to those questions as I use it more.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

1) Use a standard 10m target.

2) Provided that the sensor is firmly fixed it doesn't really matter where you mount it. Further back towards the grip will not change the balance of the gun so much. You might find you want to remove the gun's weights to counteract the weight of the Scatt.

3) F-coefficient is a personal thing and varies from one shooter/gun combination to another. It is best adjusted after a session of live fire, adjusting the recorded shot fall to line up as closely as possible to the actual shot fall. It is extremely unlikely that the 2 sets will line up perfectly, it just doesn't happen. Remember that Scott Schaffer's manual was written in the days when we all believed Scatt's BS about what factors were included in the f-coefficient and their infamous database of goodness knows how many shots. It is actually just a delay, recording where the sensor is pointing at a certain time after the system senses the trigger click.
taz

Post by taz »

Thanks David.
When you say use a standard 10m target I suppose you are talking about using the scatt at the range right?
At home the scatt reports 7m distance so this is the target I print. I suppose it does not matter since I do not shoot live at home anyway.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Print the target for the distance corresponding to where your feet (eyes) are. It will probably be 0.5-0.7 meters more than what scatt reports as the distance to the target.

Marcus
taz

Post by taz »

Thank you guys.
This thing is an amazing training tool.
If only it existed when I was shooting 20+ years ago...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

taz wrote:If only it existed when I was shooting 20+ years ago...
It did, but wasn't as widely available.
taz

Post by taz »

Really? I did not know that.
Simkovitch

Post by Simkovitch »

F-coefficient is not a simple delay.
If you set it high you'll see the shot hitting pretty far from your aiming point.

It seem to me that it accounts for the time it takes for the pellet to reach the target.
Nevertheless, it's not 100% true to live fire hits. The better your hold the closer it gets to simulating your shots.