Steyr LP10E recoil

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

taz wrote:For some reason some do not understand me and keep saying that I must be doing something wrong when the pistol recoils. I already know this and have stated it from my first post.

Yesterday I tried another shooter's LP10. The feeling was similar to mine.
It seems I was expecting too much from all the features of the LP10 and was under the impression that even when the shooter (in this case me) made a mistake the pistol would still fire without any recoil and it seems this is not the case.
It is a triggering error most likely. Work on pulling the trigger back quickly'and smoothly as your sights are coming into alighnment. Try dry firing five times between every live shot to train your trigger finger to do the same thing every time.
tirpassion

Post by tirpassion »

For some reason some do not understand me and keep saying that I must be doing something wrong when the pistol recoils. I already know this and have stated it from my first post.

Yesterday I tried another shooter's LP10. The feeling was similar to mine.
It seems I was expecting too much from all the features of the LP10 and was under the impression that even when the shooter (in this case me) made a mistake the pistol would still fire without any recoil and it seems this is not the case.
I have tried to understand your statement and would answer in this way.
- You are perhaps expecting too much from the LP10. It does not shoot on it's own, it needs a shooter to do good work behind it.
- If you produce a triggering error on any other AP*, it's recoil will be more pronounced than that of the LP10. It does not mean that the LP10 will forgive this error.

* I have not seen the Walther LP400, which is also supposed to be a recoil less gun.

regards
tirpassion
taz

Post by taz »

Update.
I measured the muzzle velocity of my pistol.
With the pellets I am normally using (HN Finale Match Pistol 4,49mm) the velocity is around 166m/sec.
When I switch to heavier rifle pellets the velocity drops to the factory recommended 155m/sec and the recoil is also reduced.
The bad thing is I have just purchased another 5000 HN Finale Match Pistol pellets :(
Rover

Post by Rover »

There is NO recoil. Any movement you see is caused by YOU.

Changing pellets will not help you; a perfect trigger release will.

I hope this is plain enough.
taz

Post by taz »

Ok if you say so...
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Does your LP10E have the newer compensator installed---it looks like someone drilled holes in a plate ( THATS WHA THEY DID!). I replaced the old one on my LP10 and it did help with a little muzzle flip I cause every so often...."Doc"
j-team

Post by j-team »

taz wrote:Update.
With the pellets I am normally using (HN Finale Match Pistol 4,49mm) the velocity is around 166m/sec.
When I switch to heavier rifle pellets the velocity drops to the factory recommended 155m/sec and the recoil is also reduced.
The bad thing is I have just purchased another 5000 HN Finale Match Pistol pellets :(
So, the difference in weight between H&N rifle and pistol pellets is 0.04grams, and the pistol weights about 1000grams.

Are you seriously saying you can feel a change in recoil?.

I have to agree with Rover here.
Crete

Post by Crete »

Just a thought.

Have you checked the trigger weight lately?

The factory setting may not be ideal for you.

Two Steyr LP-10 shooters discovered this in our Club recently.

We all did a trigger weight check, take up weight, point and sear release adjusted properly @ 500 grams (or a bit more, ~550 grams) and we all agreed that the shooting behaviour of both LP-10 and my FWB Mod. 2 (mine is a CO2), improved markedly after some tinkering and we all shot a bit better even with RWS Basic and Hobby pellets (7.0 grains, 4.50mm).

Try checking your trigger set up again.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

taz wrote:... fire without any recoil and it seems this is not the case.
[/u]
No recoil, as in none, nix, nada - are you are talking about dry fire?
If the pellet comes out the front, 'equal and opposite reaction' is hard to overcome.

As mentioned above, the (very minimal) recoil of a modern air pistol CAN be your friend: just watch where the front sight goes - this part of a proper follow through is a mine of information...
taz

Post by taz »

Spencer wrote:
taz wrote:... fire without any recoil and it seems this is not the case.
[/u]
No recoil, as in none, nix, nada - are you are talking about dry fire?
If the pellet comes out the front, 'equal and opposite reaction' is hard to overcome.

As mentioned above, the (very minimal) recoil of a modern air pistol CAN be your friend: just watch where the front sight goes - this part of a proper follow through is a mine of information...
I am not talking about dry fire, though as I said I probably overestimated the technology built in this pistol and its capabilities to eliminate recoil.
I totally agree with everything you state.
It seems though that some of the other forum members do not share your opinion.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

j-team wrote:So, the difference in weight between H&N rifle and pistol pellets is 0.04grams, and the pistol weights about 1000grams.

That might not be as crazy as it sounds.

Back in the late '90s, just after we lost cartridge pistols here in the UK, I was doing a lot of shooting with an LP5P (the "Provisional Rules" competitions).

I proved, over several blind tests, that I could feel the difference between Pistol Finale Match 4.49 and 4.50. I preferred the feel of the 4.49 so stuck with them.

I sure as heck couldn't tell the difference now.
taz

Post by taz »

j-team wrote:
taz wrote:Update.
So, the difference in weight between H&N rifle and pistol pellets is 0.04grams, and the pistol weights about 1000grams.

I have to agree with Rover here.
Yes I can.
The 0,53gr pellet @ 155m/s has 6,36J kinetic energy.
The 0,49gr pellet @ 166m/s has 6,75J kinetic energy.
That is 6% difference, small but perceptible.