Opinion on home Electronic targets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Brian James

Opinion on home Electronic targets

Post by Brian James »

I’m trying to help a shooter decide which electronic target system to purchase. I’ve shot on a few different target systems over years at matches, but have no experience with the personal/home use models. Which is why I’m hoping some shooters on here can share their thoughts.

Initial cost is a factor, but the on-going cost and maintenance is a serious consideration.

The unit does not have to be ISSF certified.

The shooter shoots: Air Pistol, 25m Pistol and 50m.

It would be great to have one model that could be used at 10m, 25m and 50m, but I’m not sure if that exists. 10m shooting is the most important for this athlete.

Thanks,

Brian
john_almighty

Post by john_almighty »

If you are not concerned about ISSF and actually looking for a cheap alternative, you could just buy a wifi webcam of reasonable resolution and stick it near the target pointing to the target and see the shots on a wifi laptop. I am in process of doing this in my home range soon as I am more concerned looking where I shot. But this woudl be the cheapest way to do it sub $50. just another thought for you . Wouldnt work in larger distance as the wifi woudl not pick it up that easily.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

That's what I use at home for some sessions. I find it helpful in refining my groups especially on days when my focus is less than ideal; when a few badly placed shots show up on the screen, shots which I'd called as being better, it serves to settle me down and force working harder on concentration and execution. The particular camera I use is a tiny 2.4GHz 'mini spy camera' thing, with a receiver from a different manufacturer connected by USB to my tablet. I use these things for internal inspections and some sorts of repairs of doublebasses and cellos, so it's a handy thing I have in the shop anyway. Combined cost via eBay sellers was about $60 and they work very well, using the ancient 'AmCap' software to present the image on screen. The tiny camera attached to a small gooseneck above my target can be placed in line with the top of the paper such that the angle isn't too bad for viewing. I only shoot 10m AP, don't know if it'd work for 50m, but the manufacturer says it's good up to 100m if there are no obstacles. Reception might get glitchy... If I place the receiver behind a wall the image jumps with static every few seconds.

The main advantage is preservation of stance and all, rather than going to look at a scope or walking up to the target for a peek. Some of my best groups have been shot with a glance at the screen between each shot.
taz

Post by taz »

To clarify, you are looking for electronic targets and not electronic trainers right?
trinity

Re: Opinion on home Electronic targets

Post by trinity »

I think what you want is the Megalink 4K560:

http://www.centerten.com/index.php/en/p ... s/48-4k560

CISM has a number of them, and have shot everything from 0.177 to .32 on them.

Now, if the shooter in question really only does .177 most of the time, then the 4K187 is much smaller and cheaper I think. I have that model, but I've only shot .177 on it. The website says you can shoot .22 on it, I haven't tried.

-trinity
Brian James wrote:I’m trying to help a shooter decide which electronic target system to purchase. I’ve shot on a few different target systems over years at matches, but have no experience with the personal/home use models. Which is why I’m hoping some shooters on here can share their thoughts.

Initial cost is a factor, but the on-going cost and maintenance is a serious consideration.

It would be great to have one model that could be used at 10m, 25m and 50m, but I’m not sure if that exists. 10m shooting is the most important for this athlete.

Thanks,

Brian
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

Personally, I recommend the sius hybrid score sold by Glen Goodwin at www.shotresponse.com. Sure it's expensive initially, but there's virtually no maintenance required as it does not use witness paper. Attached, I have the brochure.
Attachments
hybridscore kit brochure.pdf
(569.39 KiB) Downloaded 900 times
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Jordan1s wrote:Personally, I recommend the sius hybrid score sold by Glen Goodwin at www.shotresponse.com. Sure it's expensive initially, but there's virtually no maintenance required as it does not use witness paper. Attached, I have the brochure.
Err.. as of Feb of this year (2012), the HS10 was the Cheapest of all the electronic target systems (at least where I could get someone to email/call me back).

It's the one I'd go for as well, just out of my budget at just over $2k
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

Thank you for all the responses. I am looking for an electronic target rather than a trainier (Rika, Scatt, Noptel, SAM).

I personally use a wifi camera and it meets my needs. Its more of a replacement for a scope than an electronic target.

Brian
sbtzc

Post by sbtzc »

If you're looking for a replacement for a scope, and the associated position change to look through the scope, how about a baby monitor? You can even buy ones that play lullabies to your target. :-P

For example, $80 will get you:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/MOTOROLA-Digi ... n/17048888
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I use a cheap scope with an angled objective ($60 at WallyWorld) set up on a camera tripod so that I only have to lean over a bit to see the target - no need to move my feet. It also works at the indoor range I use - the crummy little tripod it comes with fits on the bench and still needs only a bit of lean to see the target.

Roger
randy1952

Re: Opinion on home Electronic targets

Post by randy1952 »

Brian James wrote:I’m trying to help a shooter decide which electronic target system to purchase. I’ve shot on a few different target systems over years at matches, but have no experience with the personal/home use models. Which is why I’m hoping some shooters on here can share their thoughts.

Thanks,

Brian
If your after an off the shelf electronic targets you basically have three choices: Megalink, Sisus, and Meyton.

For my money I would go for the Sisus or Meyton. The Megalink has consumables that can get to be pricey in the long run. The Megalink software is not as flexible as the other two systems and is a pain to utilize, especially if your running 25 meter sport pistol. The Megalink target hardware setup is overly complicated (in my pain) and a pain to use especially for 25 meter pistol. The Meyton software of the three is probably the most flexible to use as the user can design additional targets of their own design on their own in addition to the standard ISSF targets that already come with the system. If the user wants a different target then what's in the Sius hybrid score system database I was told by the rep that the user can ask Sisus to make the target.

There are no consumables for both the Sisus or Meyton systems. If your connected to the internet the Meyton system can be diagnosed over the internet for any electronic problems. The Meyton system components are easy to replace and it uses LED lights to score the shots. The Sisus Hybrid uses a combination of microphones and LED. The microphones score outside the black area of the target and the LED score in the black area.

I am not sure about the Sisus hybrid (they were planning on having one last year), but the Meyton has it's own bullet trap for air and 22 caliber bullets. The Meyton system has three different frame sizes to chose from the small frame which will allow you to shot 10/15m air rifle and pistol and 50 meter smallbore rifle. The medium frame will allow you to shot 25m/50m/100m pistol and rifle. The large frame is for 25m to 300m rifle and pistol. This makes this system more flexible to use for both air and 22 caliber pistol and rifle shooting.

The Sisus Hybrid model for is setup for 10m air rifle and pistol and 50 meter smallbore rifle only.

Gold Medal Shooting (http://www.goldmedalshooting.com) is the Meyton Rep in this country. ShotResponse is the rep for Sisus Hybrid system.

If you use your own laptop you can cut the cost of buying a system.
JessW

Are any of these systems compatible with Macs?

Post by JessW »

I am also researching which system is best for an at-home 10 meter air pistol range. Does anyone know which, if any, of these systems are compatible with a Mac? So far, I'm looking at the Suis, Megalink, Meyton... Any others out there I should check out?

Thanks for any responses!

Jessica
rmarsh

electronic target

Post by rmarsh »

I have a Meyton on order, impatiently waiting for it's arrival. I will post a report when I get it set up.
JessW

Meyton

Post by JessW »

rmarsh - yes, please do report back and let us know how the Meyton works for you.

As a side note, I heard back from all the brands I'm interested in none are compatible with a Mac - although I'm told that the Megalink will work with the Mac XP mode. Unfortunately, I am not at all "techie" and am unsure how to do that!
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Basically it partitions the drive so you can install windows and operate windows on a Mac. Sort of ridiculous but heck why spend the R&D to make a better product usable on multiple platforms when you can just tell your user to adapt. I've had to do this for other programs that are "Windows" only. Most just end up being based on archaic platforms that they have no idea how to upgrade. (Notice how many of these in Shooting Sports exist?)

Mac has made it easier to do though and I believe the option is standard on Mountain Lion. You do have to buy the Windows XP software though to install.

Still makes me grumpy with the manufacturers...
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

If you're not comfortable partitioning your drive and installing a Windows version on your Mac, I'd suggest picking up a well used but still perfectly functional netbook via Craigslist, from a local seller so you can test that it works on the spot before buying. There are a LOT of used XP netbooks floating around for ultra-cheap prices now that so many have moved to either the iPad or one of the many Android tablets. Anything with a 9" or larger screen should be sufficient for use with a targeting software. I used a couple of score tracking programs with my old Asus netbook before moving on to an ExoPC tablet (running Windows 7 on both) and also used that netbook as a viewer for a wireless camera at the target, and it was perfectly fine for anything I tried. Sold that thing for $100 and I see them quite often for a similar price.
viena

Arisoren

Post by viena »

ask from other company in russia & iran for get the price

russian company price 1500 euro
Iranian company price 900 euro

both of 2 company with acoustic sensor and need paper
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

As others have said, if it doesn't need ISSF approval (and you have the budget), you've got to be looking at Suis LaserScore or the Meytons.

Lasers, not acoustics, which means no rubber scrolls/witness paper, and (in terms of maintenance) no mechanical or moving parts associated with winding the sheets of consumables.
TBoy68

Bullseye Camera System

Post by TBoy68 »

There is another option. That is the Bullseye Camera System. It works out to 1000 yards, and it flashes your last shot or group on your computer screen.
GCSInc

Re: Bullseye Camera System

Post by GCSInc »

TBoy68 wrote:There is another option. That is the Bullseye Camera System. It works out to 1000 yards, and it flashes your last shot or group on your computer screen.
Link / Contact info?

Thanks