Pardini SP22 goes Autofire with Federal 714 SV

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mass Shooter

Pardini SP22 goes Autofire with Federal 714 SV

Post by Mass Shooter »

Brought with me a box of Federal Champion #714 Standard Velocity to the range to try this past weekend. Very 1st pull of the trigger and a (2) round burst is into my target. ... I put that ammo away and completed my practice session with Wolf MT. ... All was good with the Wolf MT

Any ideas what causes a burst like that?

Anyone else have this happen to them?
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Have used 714 in my team's three SP's and four SPE's for a number of years. No doubling or auto fire.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Since you "put it away" after two shots, I guess we'll never know if it was a never-to-recur fluke.
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Rover wrote:Since you "put it away" after two shots, I guess we'll never know if it was a never-to-recur fluke.
1st time it ever doubled so natural instinct was to back away and not try and break anything. ... I recenly installed a new Sear Spring, Firing Pin, Slide Spring & Extractor. ... I did a web search and found a link stating the Federal Champion 714 product velocity is 1,08 fps. so it's right in the ball park. ...

I guess it's worth to give it another shot (no pun)
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

Sure wish I could find some of that 714 Federal....shoots the teeniest of groups out of my SP.....the only better groups I get are with ver high end Euro stuff. Haven't seen it anywhere.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Recently reset all my trigger parameters on my SP. On testing with various ammo had "machine-gun" with SK Pistol Match, but not with 6 other brands including Federal Target. Problem was that the sear setting was too fine. I had screwed it in so that there was very little engagement. Backed out screw CP (in your manual) 1/4 turn and no further problems. Try this (out 1/4 turn until no more problems), but remember to check that all your other trigger adjustments have not altered as well.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

One thing to watch out for if you get a "Maxim" is to check the brass. It's possible that you will find no firing pin marks. Insufficient headspace can cause slam fires, as can a sticky extractor. Doesn't happen often, but it isn't always the firing mechanism.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Most double or "slam fire issues" can be traced back to sear/hammer engagement. Mostly not enough on the Pardini. On the .45 or SW 41 and High Standards its a negative angle or too short a hammer hook. The Pardini with the two stage set up has a very long hook on the hammer and not many folks get into gutting the angles on the sears or hammers. If the hammer/sear faces are polished properly at the factory a tad more engagement will not be felt. The European designs without a disconnector also make slam firing a bit easier since the trigger on some guns never gets disengaged from the draw bar.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

in reply to orionshooter

Fed 714 is supposed to be the same as Fed 711B, just that 711B costs more for some reason.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

Thanks PaulB ......I'll give it a shot.
Mass Shooter

Pardini SP Autofires Update

Post by Mass Shooter »

Just thought to post an update; ... The trigger adjustments that was written by the late Don Nygord were very detailed and I followed them precisley. The colorful illustrations that were posted in the archives by TT member GWhite were perfect in detail.

I adjusted for a safe amount of sear engagement and set 1st stage (including take up play) to ~1lb 3oz ) and overall final 2nd stage now measures a consistent 2lb-4oz measured with a Lyman electronic gage. The trigger has a hair noticable amount of extra travel after the shot breaks. ... I placed a single drop of Marvel lubricating oil on the sliding surface of hook & sear surface.

Range Testing:

I brought with me several boxes of Federal Premium Gold Medal 711B and a couple of Federal Champion 714 and all ran perfect. I used only (1) magazine the same one that was giving me issues prior to any trigger adjustments. Of course I'll be in continuous test mode for a while utilizing the other brands of ammo that I traditionally use and the extra magazines too.

So far so good with only a few boxes through it and if it craps out on me again fortunately it's only a short drive to Greg Derr's shop.

But hey, ... it's feeling pretty good!